Automatic Watering Systems

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by clum111, Jul 8, 2012.

1. clum111

clum111 Gardener

Ratings:
    +170
    Hi,

I can't believe that I'm talking about this when we are getting all this rain:gaah: I've been looking at these automatic watering systems for my back garden, but I've 1 question about them. What happen during the winter, i.e. are they frost proof to leave in place or do you need to take everything apart and bring in doors? I live north of Newcastle and we can get heavy frost.

Thanks

2. watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
    +549
    I would say it depends on what type of watering system you have.
    Since water expands when it freezes, the "problem" occurs if there is any water left in the pipes to expand.

If you have a "soaker hose" it will empty itself when the water supply is turned off.
    If you have anything else water may become trapped in the pipes, so the easiest solution would be to put a tap on the lowest point(s) and leave open when the season has finished, so any water can run out before it freezes. (But also remove the "start end" from the supply so air can get in to let the water out)

OR you could do what most folk seem to do, leave it and see what happens. On my travels I have seen a few watering systems (not that close up) and they look like they have been in situ for years.

3. clum111

clum111 Gardener

Ratings:
    +170
    Just had a reply from Hozelock and they've basically said what you've said, just remove the plug from the end and disconnect the system from the tap so air can go right through.

Thanks