1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

automower for lazy gardeners

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by miraflores, Sep 11, 2012.

1. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    • Like Like x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,566
      I saw one in operation in June at a local private gardens. The ground was hilly and uneven in places but it seemed to cope without a problem. I was intrigued watching it as it headed to the large pond there, waiting for it to disappear into the water, but no, the edge of the pond was surrounded by edging bricks sunk into the lawn and as soon as it sensed those it turned around. It automatically turns when it senses a solid object, even someone's foot. :)

I don't think it would cope with grass that is too long, but I suppose that wouldn't be an issue when it's just left to roam the garden most of the time. Below are a couple of pictures I took.

140.JPG

139.JPG

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,076
      These are a bit cheaper;
      [​IMG]

:)

• Like Like x 2
      • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,389
        Thank you for the pictures Sheal and useful explanation. As JWK points out they are a bit on the expensive side so whilst they are mowing one should better lie on a deckchair with a book checking that nobody steels it...

• Like Like x 1
        • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
          Ratings:
          +31,871
          Auto mower for lazy gardeners

just get OH to do it :snork:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          We stayed with some people who had one. It came out of its little recharging-garage, ran around a bit, and when the battery was getting low went back to get itself recharged. I don't like that type of rotary cut, but for folk that do, and have a small enough lawn, I reckon its a good idea. It probably cuts the grass every day, or once every couple of days, so lawn always looks neat-and-trim.

I disagree about it being a lazy person's device - like the "white goods" that did not exist in people's homes 30 or 40 years ago, it just frees up time to do other things - and if the other thing, for some people, is "doing nothing" then that's up to them I reckon :)

• Like Like x 1