1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Autumn flowering Camellias

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by silu, Jun 22, 2015.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I was wondering if anybody grows these and if so any handy tips re success. I do grow Spring flowering Camellias which do well here altho depending on the weather blooms can be wrecked with late frosts despite none of my Camellias being East facing.
    Living in Scotland I am dubious that I would have much success with them and I don't often trust those who sell them to advise me that I might be wasting my time! I have seldom seen them growing anywhere about these parts which would suggest they aren't suitable as if they were I'd have thought lots of people would grow them being such a lovely plant to be flowering so late in the season when little else is giving colour to the garden. Hope someone can advise. Thanks.

2. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    I didn't even know there were Autumnal ones :redface: .
    I shall be interested to read the replies to this :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • silu

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Doesn't look like many people grow them @"M"!

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      Possibly like me and didn't realise they were out there :redface:

Okay, considering your conditions ... I've found this article:-
      Source (for full article)

• silu

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Oh thanks @"M" This sounds promising. I suppose I am cautious as they are quite expensive to buy , I hate failures (have a quite enough already:)) and if they are not that difficult and hardy why aren't loads of people growing them? It's not as tho we are blessed with 1000s of different plants which flower when they do. I think If nobody comes back re my post I'll find a supplier on the net and phone them up to ask. They will probably tell me they are a complete cinch! but certain suppliers (1 beginning with C comes to mind) do guarantee their plants for 12 months so might take the plunge!

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,328
      @silu
      I grow Camellia sasanqua "Narumigata" this flowers from November through to spring. The flowers are susceptible to frosts and go manky, however the unopened flowers survive and soon replace the frosted ones. It produces a steady stream of flowers rather than a flush and Narumigata is nicely scented.
      I am down in Devon, on the coast, though so I don't know if the buds will take the more severe frosts you probably get.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • silu

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Thanks @NigelJ, something is telling me I might be trying to be a bit clever with the climate I have! I might think about growing 1 in a pot in my unheated greenhouse and put it outside in the summer. Is the 1 you have a strong grower ie would it be ok in a big pot? and I mean big not something pathetic that so many people think some poor b of a plant should be able to survive in with no food or water and then moan that it must be the supplier who sold them a duff plant:rolleyespink:. The Spring flowering ones I have respond surprisingly well to being pruned and IMO actually benefit from a hair cut quite regularly so if I got 1 I could keep it in check if necessary.

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        I checked out a company called Trehane and to my eye it seems that they all require a "sunny, sheltered spot" :spinning:

• Informative Informative x 1
        • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
          Ratings:
          +21,328
          @silu
          Mine is not a strong grower being about 6ft and 3ft in diameter after ten or twelve years. It has very open growth.

• Informative Informative x 2
          • silu

Ratings:
            +8,083
            Thanks both. I'll have a think about whether to take the plunge or not.

• Friendly Friendly x 1