Autumn Sowing

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by PeterS, Dec 18, 2005.

1. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,013
    Are we still in Autumn?

I have just been looking through some old packets of seed, and came across three unused packets from the RHS seed scheme. They are Chindoxa Sardensis, Gentiana Asclepiadea and Primula Harlow Carr Hybrids.

I received the packets this spring along with a number of others. But did not use these three because the instructions were to sow in autumn. I then forgot about them till now. Is it too late now. For now read 3rd of January as I will be away for a bit?

2. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm often in this situation. I plant half of them and see what happens.

3. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,967
    Certainly the first two need a period of cold to break dormancy before spring germination, so sow them now and leave outside somewhere protected from disturbance The Primula seeds have a short lifespan so they may not germinate that well. I would sow them now too and see what happens.

4. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    The way I grew cowslips (primula) was to plant them, place them in a plastic bag and put them in the fridge.

They germinated and were a bit leggy after about 5 weeks when I remembered them. I then removed them and planted them up individually in pots, planting them out in spring. They have done fine.