1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Autumn/Winter hanging baskets & pots

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sam1974x, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Hi all

After having a good old google for a while and coming up with nothing new, thought I would ask the questions here as to what everyone puts in their autumn/winter hanging baskets.

Apart from pansies/viola's, cyclamen and ivy (and spring bulbs).... anyone had much success with anything else?

Also, a while ago someone posted some trailing viola although the summer varient. Anyone tried the winter trailing one with any success ?

2. strawman

strawman Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    You could try some of the winter flowering heathers in the centre of the basket, or christmas roses. I usually plant violas for the best all round effect. I did plant up some baskets with bulbs, narcissus and the like. A couple of years ago I put a hyacinth in two baskets with other plants and they looked really good.

3. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +694
    Hi Sam :)

I have not seen the trailing viola but I would love to get some.
    I am planting my pots and baskets up now [had to go and get a bag of compost last night!] and I am planting pansies with spring bulbs - I use the dwarf daffs, tulips, iris , muscari etc and usually get a good display.

4. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17

Strawman - have already given heathers a go which didnt do well for some reason. Shame as some lovely colours about but the last ones went brown and dead looking within a few weeks!

Jazmine - The trailing violas were on a post on here somewhere but the summer variety. Lovely bright yellow too !! I would definately get some if I knew where to get the winter hardy ones from!! If you are planting your baskets up- now, does that mean all your summer displays have finished ? Am still clinging on to mine although well past their best lol

5. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Ratings:
    +694
    Hi Sam, sorry missed your question!

Well some of the baskets and pots are still looking lovely but as they die off I am replacing them with the bulbs and pansies etc.
    I want to do it in good time as previous years I have left it and then it has been cold and miserable [can you tell I am a fair weather gardener? :hehe:]

I am still waiting for my agapanthus bulbs and daffs to arrive then I hope to get going again.
    Our camera is playing up so cannot get pics on at the moment :(

6. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    No probs Jazmine :)

I have done all my baskets last weekend with various plants and tons of violas, with lots of bulbs too!

The big basket I have out the front has come up lovely ..... when I was at work the other day, a passer-by even knocked on our front door and asked OH where we brought it from !!! so it must look pretty good huh ?

Snap about having camera problems. The dog broke our very expensive camera months ago so had been using my sisters little Kodak but she needed it back (how dare her!!) so just ordereda cheapy point & shoot thing off ebay .... should be here soon hopefully as dying to take photos of everything lol

7. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Ratings:
    +694
    It must look impressive then Sam! :)
    I went to Homebase today and there were no trays of trailing violas but their filled baskets they were selling were full of them! I did not dare buy one, I have so many here :D

8. potty

potty Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I just hung mine out yesterday - planted up with a little help from my mum!

I used pansies (two sizes), cyclamen, ivy, a green leafy trailing thing, a purple flowering trailing thing with purple leaves, white spray painted heather. I wanted a purple/blue theme and hopefully they'll look great when they've grown a bit.

Sorry I'm not good at remembering plant names, I'd not heard of the purple flowering/trailing thing before but lady at gc said she'd used it last year and it looked lovely.

9. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    The only display baskets they have at our homebase only had the normal viola in and to be honest from what I have read about the trailing, it seems its best in the summer as thats a good variety one.

The 'winter' one appears to only flower in the spring so cant imagine it would look up to much all over the autumn and winter which is what put me off it to be honest. Thought I would wait until I have actually seen it first in autumn and winter before I dare risk putting it in myself. Would hate to go to all that effort for plain green all through the autumn/winter!

Am hoping someone, somewhere will try it though and post lots of pictures to how it goes :)

10. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    My mum usually helps me with mine too but only the summer ones as there is so much variety I get lost!! Would love to know what trailing stuff you have put in your baskets as there is so little when it comes to autumn baskets.

I have put sage in mine for something extra green and hopefully trailing and sedum which apprently trails too although no sign of much growth yet!

Can you remember the names Potty or do you still have the tickets ?

11. potty

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't remember the names or have the tickets but my mum bought the same purple thing and has the ticket still so I shall get it off her over the weekend.

I'd not thought of using herbs, I have a fair few potted herbs out the back but it never occured to me to mix them with flowers.

I keep admiring the baskets everytime I go out the front :) Silly how flowers can make you so happy!

12. potty

Ratings:
    +0
    Rightyho I shall attempt to upload some photos.

Newly planted:

[​IMG]

The as yet unnamed trailing plant that I'm told will have purple flowers:

[​IMG]

The other green trailer with nice bright leaves:

[​IMG]

I have a brain like a sieve when it comes to plant names! I can't wait for it all to grow a bit!

13. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    ahhh the yellow/green leaves look possibly like Lysimachia - a.k.a creeping Jenny.

I was desperately trying to find this for my own baskets but couldnt get any local and all online stores only sold tiny plugs which wouldnt have been any good. If it is this ..... it trails well :) so i hear anyway !

The red leaves - hmmmm now i saw this at the garden centre myself but cant think what its called. Unless its not what I am thinking off - as that didnt trail.

Your right though - the pleasure just one single hanging basket can bring is amazing :) :)

14. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Ratings:
    +694
    Hi Potty,
    your basket looks beautiful-you have given me some ideas now!

I know what you mean about the pleasure the plants can give. I think I annoy hubby as I keep pointing out things that look pretty. We live in a funny old world and I think that my flowers etc bring such pleasure :)

I'm not good on names either but I am trying to look for different things to plant in the winter baskets this year.

15. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +6,953
    :) Hi Potty,the purple leaved plant is Ajuga Reptans..........quite a nice idea,they will grow anyware............The flower is blue.