1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Avocado Tree Falling Over

Discussion in 'Trees' started by EmFlu, Aug 10, 2022.

?

What should I do to support the stems?

1. Cane support

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Twist the stems

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. EmFlu

EmFlu Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi everyone!

Hopefully this is the right place to post. I have an avocado plant I grew from seed which is doing startlingly well, considering it is growing only in my kitchen window.

However, now it's too big for my window and I need to figure out where to put it.

1. I only have one north and three east facing windows in my apartment, the light is not great. Should I try to put it out on the rooftop terrace for the summer, knowing I'll have to bring it in again for the winter?

2. It's used to growing against the window, so now it falls over when not supported. What's protocol here? I see at fancy gardening stores, they twist the stems. Is that good? Is it too late for that? Should I just use some cane to hold it up? I think I was supposed to have pruned it at some point, but I'm scared!!

Here's what the plant looks like, unsupported

[​IMG]

Here's is a photo its current home:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for all the help!

Marissa

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,046
      It depends on your long term aim. If you plan to keep it as an indoor house plant I think you will have to prune it to keep a manageable size. Pruning best done when it's dormant in the winter. If you want it to get bigger and possibly bear fruit it will have to go outside. Trouble is they are frost sensitive as you know so finding somewhere indoors bright enough over winter is the issue. If it's grown from a supermarket pip it may not be a suitable variety to fruit in the uk.

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +7,634
      Hi Marissa,
      avocados make excellent houseplants. :) I had one for over 10 years until it got so pot bound it had to go.

For now, I'd go for a sturdy cane support or an obelisk type of support structure so that you can tie the stems straight at several points. The plant will man up and start to go woodier probably next year and then it's just a matter of pruning and tying things up so that the shape allows you to move past it.

Best place is near bright, tall window. If it has outgrown the windowsill, can you set up a small table or stool next to it to maximise light? If possible, keep it far away from radiator.

When the plant matures it will be tree shaped so can stand on the floor as the stem doesn't then need light.

Braiding stems will restrict the plant's growth but because avocado seeds come for free, why not try next spring? It's always fun to experiment a bit. :biggrin:

Jaakko.JPG

• Like Like x 2
      • EmFlu

Ratings:
        +15
        Good points, thanks John! I move a lot, so just looking for a houseplant, not fruit. I'll save my pruning for the winter then. Good reason to procrastinate :D

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • EmFlu

Ratings:
          +15
          Thank you!! This is exactly the advice I was looking for.

• EmFlu

Ratings:
          +15
          Follow-up: Is there a way to prevent the plant from becoming pot bound? Any advice?

• EmFlu

Ratings:
          +15
          @Selleri tagging you for the question above. And maybe another: any tips for successful pruning? John mentioned waiting for winter as one.

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
          +7,634
          I pruned my plant just to trim off branches growing into awkward directions or when something looked tatty. In general avocado grows into a nice shape on it's own so doesn't need much shaping. I have heard that sometimes the plant refuses to grow branches unless the top is trimmed but mine have always branched nicely.

I used to pot my plant on every spring into a pot a couple of fingerfuls bigger than the previous size. Potbounding really became a problem when I couldn't face planting it into larger than its 50cm container. It was fine in there for a few years, with just the topsoil replaced but in the end the plant started to show stress so a new generation was called for. The youngsters are now about the same size as yours. :)

And the old plant got a second life as sturdy plant supports and Degus' favourite nibbling sticks :biggrin:

• Friendly Friendly x 1