1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Avocado

Discussion in 'Trees' started by xf8u39, Sep 16, 2014.

1. xf8u39

xf8u39 Gardener

Mechanical Designer
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi, I now have two avocado trees growing which I raised from the pit in early June, using the cup of water and toothpick method.

They are now about 7-8" tall and seem to be doing fine.

I do have a couple of questions though.

Firstly, are they UK hardy? In other words, can they be left outside?

Secondly, when do you think I would need to re-pot them and how tall are they likely to grow?

At present I have them in 12" plastic pots and have been outside for the past 2 weeks having been kept inside before.

Rgds

Mike

2. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    I have an avocado tree in a pot outside, it`s possibly 10 years old now, and has lived outside for at least 6 years, they are quite hardy, but, I think your little trees are not old enough yet, protect this winter put them out next spring, and as long as you can shelter them from the worst of any weather they probably will be ok.
    Mine are in a trug, increase the pot when the roots appear out the bottom, and about 5ft tall now.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Not really. Might be OK outside in the South, or a mild winter, but will fare much better if indoors / frost-free.

I would think that a 12" pot may be too big for a plant that is only 8" tall - there is risk that the water you provide, absorbed by all the soil in the 12" pot, will take the 8" plant too long to "drink" and may cause water logging as a result.

Having said that I would expect that 12" is plenty big enough for the foreseeable future. Avocados grow to about 10M I think :heehee: