1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Azalea flowering problems?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by martd77, Jun 7, 2008.

1. martd77

martd77 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Back again with another problem! Our azalea we bought in April exhibited lovely pink flowers all through may,now they have disappeared? The plant still looks ok lots of healthy branches and small green leaves but why was it so short lived?

Its in ericaceous compost and is fed with liquid azalea and rhododendron feed:confused:

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Mart, the plant is healthy, so what are you worried about? It flowered like it was supposed to, the flowers died, which is what they are supposed to do, what`s the problem, It will flower again next spring, which is what it`s supposed to do.:thumb::D

3. martd77

martd77 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks i didnt know it was so short a span flowering i was beginning to think im cursed with gardening!

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Relax - daithethelant is right. Not sure of whether your soil is suitable for acid loving plants, but just in case - give your plant a feed with Miracid, and mulch with an ericaceous compost to set you plant up for next year.

5. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I would agree with Fran there.:thumb:

6. martd77

martd77 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks the garden centre did advise buying some plant feed especially for rhododendrons and azaleas which i have and have used.just expected a bit more from it didnt realise it would only flower for four weeks,ah well at least this forums taught me a lot so far

thanks

7. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Martin, if you want a plant that flowers " forever ", then get an
    Erysimum. The perennial wallflower. Flowers virtually nonstop.

8. martd77

martd77 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    cheers will look into that,i know plants only flower for a certain time of the year i was just disappointed,ill make sure i read the blooming labels properly! this one does say "flowers june"