1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Azalea's and rhodies - info please

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by thatfatbloke, May 29, 2012.

1. thatfatbloke

thatfatbloke Apprentice Gardener

HGV Driver
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am planning to plant the above in a corner of my garden. I realise that they need acid soil,but how deep does this soil need to be when planting to be successful?. Also the patch faces north west,am I wasting my time?. I am in Eastbourne,East Sussex. Thanks.

2. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,177
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner. :sign0016: Azaleas and Rhodies are both relatively shallow rooted and the roots do not spread out much which helps if you ever have to move them. Site preparation is the important point here. They like ericaceous compost and an acid Food diet - as opposed to alkaline. Being shallow rooted, it's important not to allow them to dry out. They cannot display their distress until it's too late.
    North West is good as they won't get baked.
    Jenny
    (just East of you along the coast)

3. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    Hello :)

As Jenny said, Rhodos are shallow rooting so don't go very deep. North west should be fine :blue thumb:

4. gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
    +1,663
    Rhododendrons don't mind shade, therefore lack of sun should be acceptable.
    Many of my Azaleas are hidden from the sun for 3/4 of the day (the house on one side and a wall on the other with 8' between. They are in sun for about 2 hours at this time of the hear. With the recent heavy rains and the current hot weather, they have been tremendous this year.