1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Azaleia/Rhody RIP?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,612
    This wee fella hasn't looked great for a good few years now, but I haven't had the heart to give it a haircut or even dig it out - looking closer at it today, I am now wondering if the time has come for it to go?

IMAG0119.jpg

IMAG0120.jpg

As you can see it is sandwiched in between a laurel and a large conifer, so if it does go... what on earth should I put in its place? PS, it is on the sunny side of the garden.

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    I would plant a salvia like Amistad or an agastache like Black Adder there Fat Controller. Either will lift that spot. Or a phormium or a grass like calamagrostis Overdam :)
    But, yes, time for the "wee fella" to go :thud:

• Like Like x 1
    • Fat Controller

Public Transport
      Ratings:
      +49,612
      I'll need to dig him out and then decide on a replacement then - thank you @Verdun

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
      Ratings:
      +49,612
      What about a Cornus Sanguinea Midwinter Fire? Or tree lupins? Would they survive in between the laurel and the evergreen?

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
      Ratings:
      +49,612
      Or Caryopteris x clandonensis Hint of Gold?

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Midwinter Fire can be very fickle......seems to lack vigour. Doesnt do well for many it seems :noidea:
      Caryopteris would look good there.....Sterling Silver is a beauty; silver grey foliage. Summer Sorbet, for me, the best the yellows. The foliage is delightfully sculpted.
      My own feeling is that a perennial rather than another shrub would break up the "woody" impression there and add a little movement...!

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,990
        Personally I dont think the gap is big enough, so I'd tend to just let the Laurel and the conifer take over at that ;point.
        Either that, or hack back the Laurel before planting anything new.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
          Ratings:
          +5,404
          Agree with Pete - I would definitely hack back the Laurel, and then plant either Lysimachia Firecracker or Penstemon Dark Towers, and Hakonechloa all gold at the front.:)

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
          +8,083
          If you decide to dig out the Rhododendron I'd give it a good going hair cut and replant somewhere much much damper if possible. I think it will be really struggling having to compete with the conifer and Laurel which will be taking up all available moisture. Try to replant with as much Peat/leaf mould/compost you can lay your hands on. Personally I'd get rid of the Laurel unless it is doing a job of screening something. I have 3 huge Laurel (none of which I planted) well over 15ft tall and god knows the spread on them. I loath them BUT (funny how there is always a but!) they are covering over massive tree stumps. Their removal would entail getting a large JBC in to dig/pull them out so the Laurel stays:mad:.

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
          Ratings:
          +5,404
          You could get rid of the laurel, and the stumps silu. You just need a man with a stump grinder. :thumbsup:

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +49,612
          Bear in mind that I rent this place, so getting shot of a healthy shrub is a non-starter; the only reason that the rhody is being looked at is that it looks distinctly unhealthy now, and is essentially a bunch of sticks with a tuft of leaves at the top of each. If I thought that hacking it back hard and then mulching/feeding/watering it would save it, then I would? Moving it is equally not viable, not least as I have nowhere else to put it.

• silu

Ratings:
          +8,083
          I'd give it a go @fat controller. Possibly a bit less of a hack and more of a prune! Rhododendron do respond well to hard pruning. Maybe delay prune and only prune half hard this season, see what happens and if all well do likewise next year. Absolutely anything you can do to keep the shrub's roots a bit moist will benefit it. As they are very shallow rooted they really do suffer in periods of dry/hot a la now! Wouldn't bother to feed, just anything to mulch even grass clippings would be better than nothing and certainly a good soaking will help it.

• Like Like x 1
          • Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +49,612
            As it happens, I have been lobbing grass clippings around it since the start of the season, and the sprinkler is now in regular use, so fingers crossed. When you say half hard, how hard is that? Do you mean prune half the stems back leaving the other half (obviously spread through the bush of course)?

• silu

Ratings:
            +8,083
            You could prune down half to say about say 6 to 9 inches @fat controller . The front foliage on the shrub looks less healthy so I'd prune that hard rather than the healthier rear foliage. If you do decide to prune I'd do it sooner rather than later as the new growth will need time to harden off before winter. The best time to prune is immediately after flowering.I hard pruned an ancient (over 50 years old) grotty Rhododendron last early summer mainly as it was really awkward to mow round. I was a little dubious that it would respond as it was old but hey presto it responded really well and sprouted new grow from branches which were about 3 ins in diameter so i'd expect yours to respond with no bother at all.
            Should the shrub not respond you did not get encouragement to prune it from me!:)

• Like Like x 1