1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

B & M Roses

Discussion in 'Roses' started by luciusmaximus, Feb 21, 2019.

1. luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
    Ratings:
    +6,899
    I went into B & M a couple of days ago and noticed pots of bush and climbing Roses for £3.99. I have been thinking of planting a climbing rose next to one of the bun runs. Has anyone bought a B & M Rose and how did it do?

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,818
    This is only Woos personal opinnion;):smile:

Good morning @luciusmaximus my friend a lot of Rosarians will say you get what you pay for but not Woo,I have seen Roses from Poundlands,B & m's,Wilkinsons etc do very well if the owners care and look after them as I know you will,most of the Roses I have seen from the less expensive store have a covering of wax on them, The wax acts as a sealant to reduce the stress on the Roses during transit and up until the time they can be planted and established into ground soil and I wouldn't worry about the wax,also it's applied to the plant to help prevent it from drying out during shipment. (and sitting on a shelf for a while) Eventually it will break down and disappear on it's own, with no harmful effect.My advice would be to for it,hope this helps my friend:smile:

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
      Ratings:
      +10,944
      That’s interesting about the wax woo....I did wonder how the roses stopped wilting etc during transit.

Yes go for it @luciusmaximus My poundstretcher rose has done brilliantly-hence buying three more this year he he

• Like Like x 4
        Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
      • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
        Ratings:
        +6,097
        Totally agree Woo regarding quality etc. No disrespects to the great names in rose production but I have experienced buy a load of rubbish from a reputable rose grower. Having spent out a couple of hundred pounds to a Hertforshire grower, several were sporting only a single take, plus a number of other failings. So much is actually down to the staff making up the orders.
        Then different roses grow at different rates. A two tear old plant can have stems strong and thick, then another same aged but different one may be little more than a whisp.

It is up to the individual to complain if not satisfied. I notice that some garden centers now offer a five year guarantee. Be honest. How many of us actually complain, how many of us save the bill or receipt.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
          Ratings:
          +6,899
          There doesn't seem to be any wax on this Rose. It has some new shoots and some lime green leaves. Still in the pot as need to prepare the planting area. Intended to do it yesterday but was too tired after the bike ride and digging out new pond.

Shall I add compost to the hole when I do plant it? Wondering if the compost will encourage the roots to stay within the confines of the hole and not spread out?

• Like Like x 1
          • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
            Ratings:
            +89,818
            Good morning @luciusmaximus my advice is not to add any fertilizer ,until you see some new growth and then I would use organic fertilizer such as(Blood,fish and bonemeal)as a chemical fertilizer can sometimes damage the roots,but this is only what I do and other Rosarians may not agree with me,but good luck with your Rose :smile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
              Ratings:
              +6,899
              :ThankYou: Mr Woo. It's planted.

• Friendly Friendly x 1