1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

B&Q Lavender

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Bunslip, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Bunslip

Bunslip Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I was wandering around B&Q today and decided to buy a small lavender plant to complete a patio container arrangement. I've just left it out on the patio, but I suddenly thought is it frost hardy??? I've just got general purpose compost in the pot, trust this will suffice or do they need anything peaty or something?? Any advice most welcome! Bunslip

2. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Found this at www.snowshill-lavender

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Lavendar is hardy enough, but not in a small pot. Get it into the soil as soon as possible, Bunslip, but not if the ground is frozen or waterlogged, just keep it somewhere sheltered and out of the danger of being frozen.

4. Bunslip

Bunslip Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Johnny, re frost hardiness they say: "However, with the milder winters that we are now experiencing it is now possible for some of the stoechas varieties to be planted outside all year round." God knows what variety Ive got!! Maybe I'll keep it indoors tonight just to be on the safe side! Feels a bit chilly out there.

5. Bunslip

Bunslip Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Dend, is it wrong to assume that just because a plant is displayed at B&Q out in the open that it is suitable to leave outside when you get it home? Or do they put them all under cover again when all the shop is closed?? Know what I mean??? Am I being stupid?........dont answer that one.

6. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
  7. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering this myself. I imagine they are put in the store after closing as they are on wheeled displays. Anyone work for or have a relative that works for B&Q that may know?

8. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Didn't notice that last one, Bunslip as we posted at the same time! Oops!

Don't think they cover over, but I've seen our local ones taking me stuff in behind the doors out to the outdoor area when it's a particularly frosty time, like now. The shops vary a lot, depending on who they have i/c plants - if they know what they're doing they'll act differently to someone whoo just does that in between dealing with the wallpaper....

I'd say though, that the stuff they have outdoors is, on the whole ok to have in the worst conditions we have outdoors, but not necessarily in pots. Usually the real risk is getting the roots frozen, so they're safer in the ground, or at the very least, in a sheltered spot, or wrapped around with fleece.

9. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I think stoechas, the one with the bunny like ears will not cope with this frost in a pot so would get it under cover. There are also a few other varieties coming out that tend to be on the milder side that are being sold in larger quantities.
    Since when did anyone at B&Q know anything about plants?

10. Bunslip

Bunslip Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It just says "Italian Herb: Lavender" on the label. dont think its Hidcote looking at the pictures Dend posted.Makes ID a bit difficult!! It has very silvery blue leaves (you can tel Im an expert)..Geoff- harsh but true re B&Q, I only bought it cause it was cheap!!...it looked in good shape to my uneducated eye.

11. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

12. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    You're being unfair, Geoff!! There was someone in charge of the plants area at my local B+Q down south who did know his stuff, and one day I went in to get some stuff, and found that loads of plants were in poor condition and being put on special offer because of it. I asked about it and was told that he was in hospital - so you see, there was someone there who made a difference!

13. gardenermannie

gardenermannie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well hello there
    I must rise to the defence of the B and Q staff
    I can only speak for the ones I know but the vast majority are well qualified, experienced and under tremendous staff levels pressure.
    I would be amazed and worried if anyone was putting trollies back into heat overnight, for security reasons they have to be taken into store which usually means into the Garden Centre area then out again first thing in the morning, Due to Night Shift working and so Health and Safety can not lie about the store. Does this answer your question. Price is always a good driver isnt it.

14. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    They must be the exception judging by the standard of plants that I see at the stores. I wonder when B&Q start selling summer bedding???
    Why did Bunslip's lavender have a label saying "Italian herb" - what sort of information does that give. Most B%Q stores treat plants like they would treat a pot of paint. The fact that they were putting plants on special offer because of poor condition says it all. If you really care about your plants and your reputation you won't sell plants that have deteriorated, cause they will never be as good as they should have been.

15. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I met a fantastic knowledgeable gardener who worked for B&Q, unfortunately he worked in a different department, but he did give me some useful advice.