1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Baby snails!

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by KeefyD, Jun 17, 2020.

1. KeefyD

KeefyD Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    A few days ago I butchered a poorly bamboo in a pot, that we inherited in the garden, in a 'kill or cure' attempt.

I was looking to see if there were any signs of life and thought I saw some buds on the stems. On closer inspection it was this: (finger for scale)

IMG_20200617_201153.jpg

A closer look:
    IMG_20200617_201153_1_1.jpg

Tiny! I know snails are meant to be one of the gardener's enemies but they're so cute!

There are hundreds of them. I don't really have many plants that are susceptible to snail damage and I'm a live and let live kinda guy, all part of the ecosystem. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097
      'Baby caravaners' I have to agree, yes, they are interesting to watch. However they really can play havoc in the greenhouse.

With respects to many gardeners etc. So often folks ask, what is causing this damage to my plants. Pictures of plants with the leaves kind of pot-holed. Usually on forums the response can be good. Often an assortment of bugs, flies and other creepy crawlies are blamed. Whereas in fact the culprits are baby snails. An interesting fact is. Most baby snails do not leave a slime trail. Baby slugs on the other hand do leave a trail.

So often with all the good, well meaning of fellow gardeners. A vast assortment of insects may be suggested. With great respects to many, as can bee observed on this forum, many gardeners also share a passion for the natural world, eg; butterflies & moths etc. However delving deeper into etemology, it can often be discovered that at the time of, shall we call it. Baby snail damage causing rampage. Many of the suggested insects are not active. However. Please don't let that hinder you from proffering your help and assistance to our gardening friends and associates.

I have, somewhere on my computer. A very detailed article by scientists @ Oxford Uni. All about snails. If I can find it. I will gladly submit it to the forum.