Back again

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Simon Everett, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Simon Everett

Simon Everett Gardener

Ratings:
    +39
    Hello folks - it is a long story but fate befell me and I couldn't get back in here, then a bad crash on my motorbike on the M40, caused by a guy driving and using his phone who caused a chain reaction, saw me in bed for 9 months... BUT I AM BACK!

Long time member might remember Anna was trying to think of something to do with a mannequin she acquired, to turn it into some kind of garden ornament. We covered it in yoghurt in the end and let nature do its thing, but it wasn't a brilliant idea and it is in two halves now!

Still struggling to make plants grow in the veg patch, fruit no problem, vegetables are hopeless. We have made a raised bed (pics later somewhere more appropriate) and that had courgettes last year, loads of them!

We have (I have) also become interested in bonsai. I tired it years ago (30 years ago or so) and failed miserably, but my brother has got into it and rekindled my interest. No trees yet, working on a couple in the woods on the farm, an oak and a Yew. They are being prepped for Yamadori bonsai. I will be able to lift them, maybe by May or June. I have pruned a hawthorn too, a lovely old stump that had never been layed and has plenty of character. So I have pruned it hard and will allow the shoots to grow before lifting it and pruning the roots.

There you go. Quick potted history of what has happened since I went off air. Looking forward to getting my mojo back and out into the garden again.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +117,306
    • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
      +609
      Sorry to read of your accident but welcome back

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,486
      Sounds horrific Simon.....glad you’ve got your mojo back, fully recovered now I hope:)
      Look forward to your posts.
      Bonsai is new to me so I will be interested in your advice and comments about this :)

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +45,636
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,315
      Welcome back Simon and good to hear you have recovered from your accident. :)