1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bacopa seeds

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Liz, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    HI,
    I am hoping someone out there can help... I have been using Bacopa [Sutera cordata] very successfully as a container plant and as an annual in the garden for several years. I am told that seed pods are readily seen, not tiny like lobelia, but that as it is a tropical plant it may not set any in UK. I have been unable, despite extensive Googling, to find any seed supplier either in UK or elsewhere. Has anyone any advice or info.?
    Alternatively will the plants survive in a greenhouse, or indoors?

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Liz

Welcom the the forums [​IMG]

The only one I could find was by putting Bacopa into a search on ebay and then it came up as an aquatic plant?

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    Liz, where did you get your original plants from?

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    Liz, I've looked it up now and I know what your referring to, Found it in a book on consevatory plants.
    Problem is it didn't say how to propagate it, but I asume cuttings. No mention of seed.

5. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Found out it can be propagated from leaf cuttings and seeds must be properly? cleaned if stored.
    Needs acid soil 5.6 to6.5

6. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Thanks everyone. The plants came from a local garden centre, who import from Holland. Iwill try overwintering in house and in greenhouse, and also try cuttings.

7. Nik

Nik Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Liz
    Googling shows this to be hardy to -1.5C. which is not very hardy at all in my book. It needs to be bought in for the winter and kept frost free at the very least. Cuttings seem to be a good idea. The pictures are not very flattering, so can you cook with it, or smoke it? Only joking.
    Nik

8. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I agree, Nik it isn't particularly marvellous, just a very pretty [in real life] little plant, very free flowering and easy to grow, ideal for background filler in baskets. The prettiest one is a plant I bought in late June which has variegated lime and gold leaves, and has covered an area of about 3 sq ft in my rockery, starting from 3 3" high shoots. I just get fed up with buying little plants every year, and having discovered most basket plants are easy to grow from seed I thought I'd try.... and now I have a greenhouse I can try overwintering and cuttings as well. [My house is tiny and fullof plants anyway].
    I haven't tried smoking it , I haven't been that desperate!

9. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I had a hanging basket (bought) that was just Bacopa Snowflake and it looked marvellous. Then I read that it wasn't hardy and spent an absolute age trying to find something I could stand it on when I brought it indoors. I finally settled on an up-side-down plant support, one with three wire legs and rings, that took it spendidly.

Then it got white fly so that was the end of that!! [​IMG]