Bad News for Wilko's

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by jono, Dec 19, 2014.

1. jono

jono Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +82
    Don't know how true this is BUT it is from a friend of mine on F/B... Wilko's at Canterbury today wanted a few homeless persons moved so one of the staff turned a cold hose on them I think this is disgusting and so did the police when they arrived... I do hope the person responsible is charged.... There by the grace of god it could have been anyone of us sleeping rough.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      And that encapsulates my detest of "Trial By Facebook" :nonofinger:

Here is a post, based purely and simply on an FB "post". No idea if it is true, but, taken as true by those reading (and "liking/agreeing" with) it.

Chinese whispers, anyone? :dunno:

So: I refrained from posting when I read this post, but, nonetheless, my knee jerk reaction is the same: it is all in the choice of words (or, if you prefer: the "detail" ;) / emotive language) E.G. Who (other than the member with his hose) could know *what* Wilkos wanted of/from the homeless people, in their doorway?

Did the FB reporter even ask? :noidea: Or, is it merely an assumption? :noidea: Were they even *in* that doorway at the time? What if it is your doorway? Would that change your perception of events? Do you see it as something you have control over? Or, as something which is at the mercy of an FB "reporter"? :dunno:

Was the hose "cold"? :scratch:
      If so, how cold is cold?
      Or, perhaps it was warm, maybe, even hot? :noidea:
      If it was a warm hose (in cold weather) would that - then- become an act of kindness? Warming them up? :dunno:
      But: more to the point - How could FB sensationalist tell? :dunno: :scratch:

Was it all of staffs? Or, just *one* staff member? How many Wilko staff does it take to hold a hose? :scratch:

So: I refrained from posting until I had something other to go by - because, if it were true, there would be another source of information.

Here is another (equally plausible) account:
      I have a deep cynicism of FB posts when "reporting" what is (or, isn't) "fact". As you rarely (truly) know the actual author, their motivations, their intent ... they are all to be treated with a huge degree of cynicism.

Besides: there are always two sides of every story ... and no one should rush to judge until (or at the very least!) they are presented with an alternative! Hence why I did not put any "tag" line (like/agreed/informative/creative) to the OP until I was afforded a broader/alternative point of view.

Who might that be: exactly? :scratch: (The FB "reporter? The hose bearer? Wilko's?) :noidea:
      The person cleaning up or the FB reporter (potential slanderer?)
      If the person with the hose .... Charged: with what? :noidea:
      Unless the FB "reporter" has physical evidence that the person responsible targeting any particular individual/s, there is no case to answer.
      Equally the question then begs to be asked: is the individual with the hose held accountable for their actions, or, is the company (in this instance: Wilko's) held to account? :dunno:
      Or, perhaps it is the person on FB making spurious accusations? :dunno:

What I have understood from this is: the person who initially posted about it, is now named (and, potentially, shamed!) After all, a reasonably plausible account has now been issued by "Wilkos" justifying their behaviour. Could this now impact on that persons future employability? Have they now (inadvertently) blotted their copy book? :dunno: Could they now be seen (by future employers) as a potential "trouble maker"? (Or, "whistle blower, depending on your point of view ;) ). And, it is well documented how they *can*, now, be ostracised; despite any good intentions ;)

Ultimately, I see no good coming from either the posters intentions, the publicity, nor ... perpetuating it via forums :sad: Most especially as it is 3rd hand :sad:

This is not a win-win scenario for either side :sad:

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +84,360
        Glad you refrained from posting "M":snork:

• Funny Funny x 5
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +84,360
          Personally if someone decided to sleep in my gateway, I would not be amused.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            My pleasure, @pete ... couldn't bear the thought of tantalising your blood pressure with my musings at this time of year :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 1
            • jono

jono Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +82
              Hi M I did state that I didn't know if this was true or not.... Glad you sorted it I will let my friend on fb know. However I must say if someone was sleeping on my doorstep I would offer them a cuppa. As you never do know y are in such a bad situation But that is me......

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +31,885
                Hey @jono - my comments were never personal, but generalised and formulated based merely on your post content not your post per se :)
                Like you, if someone was sleeping on my doorstep, I would offer them a cuppa before casting judgement :blue thumb: I (hope!) am not so arrogant that I have any distain for those who fall into poorer times - my cynicism lies with social media masquerading as a point of fact: that is it; no more, no less :)
                :merry christmas: jono: wishing you peace and contentment :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
                  +19,594
                  This is the one major downside of Facebook, and social media in general. For too many people, "it is written, therefore it is true". The people that propagate all the Facebook rumours don't seem to stop and think, "what if the next rumour is about me?".

There was one a while ago. A photo of some lad with some spiel about him being a wife beater and dog thief (yes, both), and we should all share it around with all our friends to make sure nobody ever trusts him again. Several of my 'friends' were promptly "unfriended" within minutes of me seeing the post in my news feed, because I simply don't want to associate with people that spread unfounded rumours, especially dangerous ones that may very likely result in someone who just happens to look vaguely similar to the accused getting a proper beating while out on the town one night, just because some drunken idiots have seen, believed and shared some unfounded malicious drivel on Facebook.

• Like Like x 1
                  • pete

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +84,360
                    Facebook? what's Facebook?

Never heard of it.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
                    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                      +100,834
                      Well, "M", presuming the report is true, then there are several charges regarding "Offences against the Person" which could come under the Common Assault Criminal Justice Act 1988. There are plenty of cases of minor assault being taken to Court over the years and, from my experience quite a few this year, but then this year does not seem to have been a particularly good year for Good Will or Tolerance.
                      The person who would be charged would be the person committing the actual act and not the Company unless it could be proved that the Company actually instructed him/her to do so. So there is no confusion about the legal response as the case is quite simple.
                      However, as you say, "M", FaceBook is not the place for credible reports and in fact has led to misrepresentation, malicious falsehoods, Bullying, etc. There is an unfortunate tendency for the power of the Pen to make people believe that anything in "black and white" is, and has to be, true. I, personally, would not go near any of the Social Networks for security reasons, but other people seem to plunge into them with great alacrity and relish:dunno: What does bemuse me is that when someone defends their participation in Facebook, and the like, they always sincerely state that they never give personal details out of themselves or their friends and relatives because they know that there are people out there who would abuse the information.........but if you were to examine their Social Network "discussions" I think they would embarrassed and horrified about how much of their personal life and details was "out there".:hate-shocked::dunno::coffee:

• Like Like x 3
                        Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2014
                      • clueless1

Ratings:
                        +19,594
                        Facebook is the place where you get all the latest good rumours, spam, and political propaganda messages from:)

• Agree Agree x 1
                        • Funny Funny x 1
                        • Informative Informative x 1
                        • clueless1

Ratings:
                          +19,594
                          I've noticed a lot of people actually let Facebook report their actual location at any given time, so that you could, if you were so inclined, actually keep tabs on where people go. Its crazy. I don't mind posting where I've been, but I don't tend to post that I've out until I'm back in, if that makes any sense:)

• Agree Agree x 3
                          • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                            +100,834
                            I agree, Clueless. It always amazes how so people are quite happy [and naive??] to give out information on Facebook and the like that they probably wouldn't have passed on if with friends at Home.:dunno::snork:

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                            Ratings:
                            +117,297
                            Give us your address for when I'm in the area. :blue thumb: :roflol:

• Like Like x 2
                            • Funny Funny x 1
                            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                              Ratings:
                              +117,297

Prior to 'social media' I experimented with rumour mongering to see what would happen (I was doing a journalism evening class and we were discussing the ethics of it). Locally, a lot of the public had been moaning about the quality of the local market having gone down.

As a hairdresser I came in contact with lots of people so I told a few people that the Council were looking into resurfacing the market square, improving facilities and working on getting a wider range of stallholders. I was wondering whether the story would spread to the local press and was interested in how they would handle it.

About two weeks later, whilst I was cutting the hair of the Chief Executive of the Council he asked me if I'd heard anything about it. I said "Yes, a lot of people are talking about it". He said to me that although they were not looking into doing it he had decided that it may be a good idea - so they shall do. I then told him what I had done! He called me a derogatory term and then thanked me and asked me never to do that sort of thing again. :)

The purpose of my experiment was never fulfilled because, by the time the press had got to looking into it, it was already happening. But it shows you the power of incorrect rumours. :noidea:

• Like Like x 1
                              • Agree Agree x 1