1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bad start to a new garden

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Rage, Jul 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Rage

Rage Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    So, after ASDA cut their cavolo nero from 600g to 300g and still selling it at £1, I decided to transform my front flower bed into a kale and salad bed. After nursing young kale of the scarlet variety in the house, I finally moved it to the prepared garden bed where the seedlings have been thriving for a month.
    IMG-20190710-WA0003.jpg
    A few days ago i started noticing some of the plants turning purple and i thought it was just part of the growing phase (plants 4th row from the right). The purple plants then started wilting, and it was then that I pulled the wilted ones and found out that the roots and the stem under the ground have been gnawed.
    20190714_220616.jpg

I have no idea what is causing this, but today I managed to pull one of the plant and noticed a small, nimble, white centipede-like creature crawling around the roots.
    20190714_213114.jpg

Any help in finding out what is causing this is greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Hello Rage, and a very warm welcome to the forum. My compliments on the neatness of your planting site. Please don't take this the wrong way but. Have you considered the planting distances.

Brassicas are perhaps one of the biggest nighmares for plant pathologist. Perhaps first and foremost. All brassicas, members of the cabbage family demand an alkaline soil. The average pH value being 6.5 -7.5 In general as so many gardeners now use mass produced multi purpose composts, ususllay the packed/baled item will have a NPK somewhat on the acidic side. Believe me, attempting to understand the laws of pH can become a nightmare. In short. Wheterornot you plant out brassicxas, either in raised bed with imported compost, or on open ground, plots and farms. Apply a good spreading of lime. Not only will your plant enjoy this, so many soil inhabitants wil hate it and leave your plants alone. Hope this helps.

3. Rage

Rage Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. The salad was already spaced as seeds on tape and the kale is about 25cm apart. I will buy lime and see what happens.

4. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,203
    Hi,

Though those creatures may have been the cause, many are just clean up crew who come in after the real cause has damaged the plants.

If using Lime when plants are in the soil be careful not to get it directly on the plants as it may scorch the leaves.

What concerns me is the hedge behind as that will be competing for all the moisture and nutrients from the soil and will probably lead to a stunted crop, unless you very regularly water and feed that patch, which will in turn make the hedge and its roots grow in to it even faster !

Next time that bed is empty I would dig down as deep as you can, say 500mm + and place a vertical barrier of strong polythene to help contain the hedges roots.

Have used this in such situations -Damp Proof Membrane 3m x 4m

5. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    My apologies. The lime should be applied to the soil and then dug in, prior to planting this will provide control againts soil borne critters. There used to be powders and pastes that the plants roots could be dipped when planting. Long time since I grew veg.