1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bamboo identification and next steps...

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Bamboo-zled, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Bamboo-zled

Bamboo-zled Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there, have searched similar topics but nothing to help specifically (although possibly close), hoping the hive mind could offer some guidance...

We moved to our house 2 yrs ago. Previous owners had planted a bamboo plant near a shared fence. Looks tidy, small, contained. Approx 6/7ft tall. Other than thinning it out and cutting some low leaves to keep its shape I've not really touched it in 2 yrs.

Last week I spotted 2 culms shooting up in our neighbors garden, approx 1m away from the main plant. It had got quite tall as I spotted it over the fence! I've also found small culms up to 2m away in the same border it's planted in, and after further digging, under a small patio area in the corner of our garden. This has led me to assume it's a running bamboo due to its spread.

Dug around this weekend and removed a large number of rhizomes, all approx ending within 2m of the main plant. They all seemed to end in an upturned culm rather than branching off elsewhere. I've done some research of images online, as well as this type of rhizome behaviour, but from that it seems that what I have is a clumping type, possibly fargesia?

IMG_20200818_202353302.jpg IMG_20200818_202344354.jpg IMG_20200818_202339307.jpg

Does anyone know if clumping bamboo can run this far if left for 2 yrs, or if indeed I have a runner and need to consider digging out? Identification of the type would be much appreciated

Many thanks

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,382
    I don't really know much about bamboos but we have some clumping bamboos that have been there for years and don't seem to spread run. The leaves on yours look a bit larger than ours and I wonder whether the size of leaf may indicate a difference. :scratch:

• Like Like x 1