Bamboo on boundary line...mine, or hers?!

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Mitramonday, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Mitramonday

Mitramonday Gardener

Ratings:
    +30
    Hi all - I'm having a new fence installed next month and have a clump of bamboo that, unfortunately, has spread into my neighbour's garden, underneath the fence line (I'm just 'sharing' my bamboo with her, just as she 'shares' her brambles with me !!). I really need to cut away that 'shared' part, so that it doesn't wreak havoc with the new fence. My question is...is the bamboo growing in her garden considered 'mine' (as it comes from my clump) or 'hers' (as it is growing in her garden)? She has already given me 'permission' to go into her garden to attempt to clear the brambles...
    Any advice gratefully received!

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,318
    Hi

Just ask if she want to have the bamboo or not and just explain about the new fence .. she may say yes take it out and if no you will try your best to leave some in ....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,834
      Well, legally, any plant that has invaded a neighbours property becomes the property of the neighbour despite the original plant being on the property of a person next door. So, the next door neighbour who's property the plant has invaded can, legally, divide and remove the plant. In other cases, Tree and/or Shrub branches that overhang into another property can be removed by the owner of that property. There is an understanding, legally, that such prunings should be returned to the owner of the Tree/Shrub....but, in most cases, that never happens.:dunno: But most people consult with each other, as you appear to be doing, before taking any action. So, if you haven't already done so, you should speak with your neighbour and ask her if any action you want to take is agreeable to her.
      I have a "wall" of climbing Roses that cascade into my neighbours garden and when we talked about them, the last thing he wanted was for them to be cut back as he gets a free display of flowers.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
        Ratings:
        +1,545
        The bamboo is the gun, roses are the cannoli.
        The godfather reference is not helpful to this thread, but sounded quite amusing in my head:whistle:

• Funny Funny x 4
        • Mitramonday

Mitramonday Gardener

Ratings:
          +30
          Thanks for that - and yes, I am in communication with her, and wanted to know the 'legality' so that I was forewarned in light of any disagreement. Hopefully she will be ok with me trying to remove it from its present position, at least.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
          • Like Like x 1