1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bamboo screen replacement

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Marc123, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Marc123

Marc123 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I've had 3 bamboo plants in 3 large pots on my balcony around 3 years now. It's never really thrived like it does at my parents. One has turned brown again ;-/. It can be very hot on the balcony with sun all day long, equally can be windy as it's exposed..... neither of which bamboo like ive read. I'm looking for something to provide a screen I can grow in pots about 4 or 5ft. Has to like full sun and wind. I drag them into sheltered area if strong winds are forecast. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I don't think that container is big enough for Bamboo. You could cut out the oldest / thinnest canes ... but that would rather defeat the object of a screen ...

Are they getting fed? probably easiest to use the "100's and 1,000's" type of feed, which lasts 3 - 6 months, but a liquid feed would be the fastest remedy if they haven't been fed much / at all.

What's different about your parents' plants? Container size? TLC? :) Wind perhaps?

3. Marc123

Marc123 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kristen,

Well I've got 3 separate plants in 3 pots, the one pictured being the biggest. They don't seem to be getting any bigger or thicker. My parents have the opposite issue...They have huge plant in a medium pot which they struggle to keep under control. They are much more sheltered which is why I was thinking sun and wind affecting mine? I'll try some feed as I've only ever watered.

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Sounds like that might help. Check with parents if they have been feeding theirs - if so that may be all that yours need to cheer them up.