1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bamboos

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by silver1, Jul 23, 2008.

1. silver1

silver1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - not sure if I am posting in the right section for this but:

I have several different bamboos in my garden - soil is alkaline and slightly dry - all of them are doing extremely well except one - semiarundinaria fastuosa. The some of the new leaves emerge with a purple tinge to the ends and proceed to dry up and die before fully opening. Wondered if anyone could give some help with this as to what could be wrong. Thanks

Ann

2. biker

biker Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi Ann,

I'm not an expert but I am having a bit of the same problem with different species. I have two bamboo. The one planted in the damper part of the garden is doing very well indeed, but the Arundinaria Japonica which is in a drier less fertile spot in the garden is looking poorly which the same results as yours. I'm planning to move the Japonica to a moister more fertile bit of the garden when the weather permits. It's fairly small so hopefully it will transplant ok and I'm hoping the moistness and fertility will get it established.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chip in with a response too.

Regards

3. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    Slightly dry is probably the main problem, bamboos love lots of water. There are generally very hungry plants too, so lots of feed too. chicken poo pellets, home made compost, well rotted horse muck, anything like that.

Leaf curl is gernally a sign of stress, so watch out for it. If you see the leaves curl then put a lot of water on it, once they curl and dry up then you will loose the leaves.

Arundinaria Japonica is an old name, its now known by the name pseudosasa japonica, again it sounds like its too dry.

4. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    My bamboos (the black one) have all got brown leaves on them that are falling off. I water it every evening and they haven't grown much so not sure what's happening.