1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bare Lilac

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Tintin, May 29, 2006.

1. Tintin

Tintin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've got a 12 year old lilac that has in the past been happy. This year however, I've lots of lovely white flowers but hardly any leaves. There appears to be something yellow (moss like but harder) on the branches. Is it dying?

2. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Can you send a photo? The hard, yellow moss like stuff sounds like a lichen. That's perfectly harmless.

3. Tintin

Ratings:
    +0
    If I can figure out the technology, I'll post a picture tomorrow, thanks for your interest.

4. Tintin

Ratings:
    +0
    This is a sorry looking branch of my lilac.

[​IMG]

Is the lack of leaves a result of whatever this is?

5. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    No. That is lichen and quite harmless. It will grow on tree bark, rocks and gravestones where the air is not too polluted. However, it is very slow growing - just a mm a year. That shows that the branch in your photo is very old. I note that you say that it is 12 years old.

Lilac leaves can fall because of soil deficiencies so a good organic fertiliser may help. Lilac blight produces angular brown spots on the leaves and young shoots die back. Disease can be a problem, but it just may need rejuvenating. You can only do that when the lilac is dormant in the winter. Then you would need to cut it hard back to 2 foot above ground level. Sounds drastic, but it would be kill or cure. If it's flowering well this year as you say it is, I would wait and just cut out dead wood and tidy it up in the autumn. Then see what happens next spring.

6. Tintin

Ratings:
    +0
    Thnakyou very much, I haven't given it any tlc since it was planted so you're probably right there.

I'll give it a good feed and cut it back in winter.

One last thing - there's self seeded campanula crowding its base - would it help if I cleared them away?