1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Barley Straw

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by T, Jul 28, 2006.

1. T

T Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know who posted the question but I just want to say I have tried the barley straw in a net and left it in the pond. I have been doing it for a while now and I'm not having any problems with weed and the water is nice and clear
    So thanks whoever mentioned it as it seems to be working for me.

2. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I USE BARLEY STRAW in my pond for a year and I have no problems with pond weed.a bale of barley straw is �£2 from a garden center in leicester.fancy.

3. macleaf

macleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Im not sure if this year has been different in some way,but our ponds have been clear as bell,perhaps its because we have a lot of Alodia have tried straw it dose work but makes our ponds look untidy [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    macleaf..I stuff an old pair of tights..(Mrs Pals :D ) with straw,tie it to a brick, and sink it.

5. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    MACLEAF,what is ALODIA?!!!!!WEED OR REED.I think Iam stupid .I only know a lot of legal eagle stuff and bakery stuff, please enlighten me please please!!! :confused: [​IMG] :cool: FANCY

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,693
  7. macleaf

macleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Pete could never spell,its a pond aireator see cant spell,Fancy :confused: :confused:

8. macleaf

macleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Palidin,cant do that as Mrs wear stockings,whos a lucky boy? :D :D ;)

9. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Macleaf, will look it up in RHS book. YOU HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THE WINDUP FROM THE OTHERS.FANCY. HA HA !!!! [​IMG] :cool:

10. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    PETE is right, it is ELODEA NOT ALODEA.elodea crispa and commonly called curly pond weed.FANCY [​IMG]

11. specialagentscully

specialagentscully Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You could also try AZOLLA (FAIRY MOSS) i havent had any probs since I started with it just over a year ago, no green algi yucky stuff, the fish love it too, much better than barley straw .

12. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    scully what does fairy moss look like and can you get it readily. please let me know. :confused:

13. specialagentscully

specialagentscully Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  14. lazydays

lazydays Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi every one the problem i have is pond is crystal clear but water fall is a different matter. Its a series of steps from the header pool at the top its in full sun and just clogs up with blanket weed.If I place barley straw in header pool do you think that would help?

15. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Worth a stab. As I understand it it isn't the straw that works per se, but the products released as it rots, so you have to be patient. I have tried it once in a pond and it worked a treat, so why not in your header pond. Stick it in the tights/netting so it doesn't turn to thousands of mini-poohsticks whizzing down the waterfall.