1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bat plant

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Bayleaf, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG] Has any one had a go at growing a bat plant TACCA CHANTRIERI. Got some seeds & any advice would be appreciated. How long does it take for them to flower (& what conditions do they need to do so?) Cheers

2. wineandchoc

wineandchoc Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am hoping that you will get some good answers to this one, I have always fancied trying to grow this plant but have never boughts seeds after hearing people complain that they never germinated. Apparently the seed has to be very fresh. Info here: http://www.sleepyoaks.com/tacca_chantrieri_bat_plant.htm

3. Triss Ferry

Triss Ferry Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yes... I planted one of these once, but was too spooked by it, so gave it to a friend! But anyway, these plants need lots of water in the growing season -that's late-ish spring to late summer- and for fertiliser, I'd reccomend Miracle Grow mixed 1/4 teaspoon to 1 gallon of water.

4. turl

turl Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Bayleaf theuy look FAB
    if anyone has any spare seeds of this please let me know, as one woulndt mind having a go at these.
    Cheers turl

5. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have been promised a seedling by a grower of this Tacca , will find out then, if they germinated,lol.Let you know wine....lol

6. wineandchoc

wineandchoc Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    oh brilliant lady, I hope you get one and that it is stunning

7. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Have soaked & planted the seeds, will let you know if/when they germinate if we're all still posting by then LOL - the website says upto 2 years!!!! :eek: Be interested in the progress of yours Ladybird. Website very illuminating with good links, Wine - cheers for that.
    Turl - Have a look on ebay for seeds or any good garden centre. Fraid I only got 6 seeds & have planted them all already. Triss - I am trying to grow them because they are spooky looking! If any come up I will heed your advice - ta!

[ April 14, 2005, 02:12 AM: Message edited by: Bayleaf ]

8. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,926
  9. revnev

revnev Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I planted some of these a few weeks ago in a heated germinator - nothing showing yet - I'm resisting the temptation to dig 'em up and see what's happening!

Phil

10. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
  11. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    STILL waiting :rolleyes:

12. revnev

revnev Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Turl - Dave,

check your private messsages - I might have some seeds you can have...

Phil

13. JoMack

JoMack Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have never tried these but I believe they need high humidity and a constant temperature of 80 degrees to germinate. I asked the bloke who was selling these on e-bay!

14. geckoman

geckoman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    sorry to bring an old topic up guys and girls i just
    wanted to know how you got on with the bat plants as i have just orded 2 rhizomes from thompson and morgan.
    and wanted to know how hard and what to plant them in when i get them (would they be ok on the patio in the summer months and brung indoors in the winter??)
    thanks.
    simmo :confused: :confused:

15. Tropical Oasis

Tropical Oasis Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I went to Bridgemere garden centre last week and bought a huge Tacca, they are all �£10 istead of �£20 it's got more new leaves comming on it too, it's finished flowering though for this year anyway.