Battle of Britain flypast

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by pip, Aug 8, 2011.

1. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Evening all :)

Took these amongst others at the Blackpool airshow on Sunday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will post some of the other pics, wing walkers and Red Arrows etc, when I have sifted through them

• Like Like x 8
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,834
      Great pics, Pip. US ex-RAF types just love pictures like that. Post the other ones!!

I was tempted to post some of my pics of the Open Day at my old Squadron back in '65, but I'll leave that for another Thread:D

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      I'm no expert but are we looking at a Lancaster flanked by Spitfires ?

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,996
      I think my plot must be under a flight path for them, as whenever there's a display in adjoining counties they always come over.

It was a bit of a shock when a vulcan bomber came fairly low over us - never realised how massive they were. My daughter now has her name on a plaque inside the last one flying.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,317

Top one Spit bottom one Hurricane:)

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Ahh, thought it might be:thumbsup: Ta. Its my Big Bro who is the plane enthusiast, he flew me up to Duxford to visit the Air Museum, let me drive for a bit too:dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb:

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      Seem to have lost the Spitfire pic ?
      I am on the flight path to the Southport airshow. The red arrows flew directly over last week , also a flight of Hurricanes I think. Great pic of the Lancaster though . I actually walked inside one at the RAF museum , until someone shouted "Oi get out ! "

Update - the spitfire pic is back ! More like this please PiP !

• Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,996
      Went to Colindale/Hendon last year, was that there?

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,594
      I like pics like this. While I'm anything but an expert, I do like the old planes. In this day and age of supersonic jet fighters equipped with every conceivable piece of electronics, its hard to imagine that those fantastic machines helped us win a war on unimaginable scale.

I have a slightly embarrassing story about the Vulcan bomber. One day when I was little (probably about 3 year old), I was playing in the street with my little buddies. It was morning time, and I was excited because after lunch my dad was going to take us to the air show that was on that day.

My little buddies and I were suddenly distracted from our toy cars and spiderman figures by the faint, low pitched rumbling noise accompanied by a whistling sound in the distance. We were excited by this because planes had been flying over all morning en-route to the airport about 25 miles from us, where the air show was going to be. We looked up at the sky waiting to see the next plane going over.

The noise got louder, and louder, and louder, and then we saw this sinister black triangle thing coming towards us. It was very low, very loud, and VERY menacing. As it cruised overhead, close enough so we could make out all the detail underneath, and loud enough to rattle us, this big, terrifying, deafening, spaceship shaped plane scared the living daylights out of me, and I must confess I ran home as fast as I could, crying my eyes out.

It must have took my dad probably half an hour of repeatedly explaining that it was on our side, and the war's finished anyway, before I finally started to get used to the idea that we're not all about to die.

• Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
      Ratings:
      +6,654
      Love the pics, love the planes, I'm only 36 (only :D), but I love the old planes, especially the Lancaster and the Spitfire. I have been fortunate to see a Lancaster fly 'very' low over the lake where I used to work in Cheshire a couple of times; almost looked tree height, the noise from those engines is simply amazing, sends shivers down the spine, what a full squadron must have sounded like, I can't imagine.

My Grandad's brother was a crew member on a Lancaster in WWII, they were shot down over Germany, he was only 17!!!!, he lied about his age to get in. His body is laid to rest in Cologne, Germany...

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,310
      Scrungee, I think the Vulcan you saw was heading to the island for T.T. My son got this shot of it.

Attached Files:

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      Hi Scrungee , I went to the RAF museum around 1978 on my way back from my sisters in London . I was actually in a Spitfire ! 1300cc sports car as they called them in those days. I am sure it was just off the M1 :what: But the RAF museums seem to be in London and Cosford near Telford . There is a big aircraft museum top of the M11 at Duxford , now it wasn't there. Anyone know if the RAF museum somewhere was close to the M1 in the 70's. It was huge god knows how they moved it .

• capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
      Ratings:
      +1,320
      I am now going to show my age.....

I have worked on a Lancaster....

Keep them coming pips.

• Like Like x 2
      • Scrungee

Ratings:
        +28,996
        My father made instruments used in spitfires.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,834
        I'm definitely go to post a Thread of the photos of my Squadron's At Home Day in only for the benefit of the usual suspects!:D:heehee: