1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bay Tree is having a bit of a hissy fit

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Stuart Hurst, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Stuart Hurst

Stuart Hurst Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    We've had this bay tree since 2012 (and when my father in law passed). His ashes are in there somewhere. It was potted in a really large steel pot but the leaves started going odd.

I dug a massive hole, chucked in a load of compost and put the tree in the ground as you see here.

Since then, the leaves have got worse, and one branch looks as it does in here.

I'm thinking of disease. Not sure though. What do I do? If it can be saved, how do I save this?

Attached Files:

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,202
    Hi,

When did you move it from its pot into that bed , this year or earlier ?

After 8 years our Bay had grown to about 6ft high and wide and needed regular cutting back.

Either yours is a dwarf variety, if there is such a thing ? or its very unhappy !

• Like Like x 1
    • Stuart Hurst

Ratings:
      +8
      We moved it earlier this year - it's definitely not happy but I don't know what to do to bring back it's happiness :(

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,725
      If the soil in your area is reasonable and no winter waterlogging, then I would sit back and watch what happens next year.
      Wondering if it got a bit dry during the summer?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Stuart Hurst

Ratings:
        +8
        We have a high water table as the land is "drained" marshland. The soil gets very sticky, which is why I put a load of compost around it to help keep that away from the tree. But, if it's ok as it is, then I will wait until next year.

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
        Ratings:
        +6,097
        https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/info/cremation-ashes-and-plants.htm

Perhaps the above article will help.
        In gardens of remembrance, ashes are often allowed to be spread. Little known to the general public, periodically the authorities will renew the soil especially in rose beds. This is because of the salt build-up. Although ash in general contains valuable nutrients, human ash has excess salt. If this is the problem. Then lift the plant, wash off all the soil/compost, check for root damage, cut away any damage. replant.

Damage etc as shown in your photos can often be simple and NOT life threatening. Simply remove damaged or unsightly foliage,branches. Hope this is of some use.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,725
        I think Bay likes well drained soil, the compost is ok but not a great idea as you might have formed a sump if the rest of the soil is sticky, ie clay?
        Maybe planting on a slight mound would have been a better idea in hindsight.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Stuart Hurst

Ratings:
          +8
          I thought the soil was clay because of the stickyness, but it's not. However, I take the point about the compost and sump.

Also - thanks for the info Mike - I will also look at that - it may be best in a much much bigger pot. I will cut off the dead stuff too

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
            +12,320
            Hi bay trees are originally from the med , get the conditions right and they are easy to grow. Where about s are you in the uk as they do prefer the south rather than the north ... i agree with Pete the brown leaves meant it had dried out too much water the leaves go yellow ... is it in a sunny spot out of the wind ....

• Friendly Friendly x 1