Bay Tree Spotty Leaves?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HarryS, Jan 16, 2022.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    Pictures below of my half standard bay tree leaves. The spots have been showing since last summer, I presume its insects (?) What and when would the best treatment for this be?
    TIA

20220116_145645.jpg 20220116_145618.jpg

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +13,962
    Well the good news is that it's not Bay sucker :biggrin: Could even be sunscorch as a result of water droplets? Snail damage? Can't tell from photo, but if there are brown, rounded ovals on stems and undersides of leaves, it's scale insect. But the lower leaves look too clean (no sooty mould). Take the affected leaves off and see what happens! If you use the leaves for cooking with, the only sensible course of action in the case of insect infestation is physical cleaning with a soapy cloth or sponge, both sides of leaves and stems. If you don't use them as edibles, a systemic insecticide watered in would do the trick.

• Like Like x 2
    • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
      +609
      Hi i had similar spots on mine but it was not a bay but a red robin shrub like yours in a pot so i used ,3 times a week water and milk for the first week poured it over then i gradually reduced it to a jug i well socked it
      after a few weeks the problem to the leaves were gone then i repotted it into a bigger pot carefully checking the roots now its grown twice its size.

A gardener once told me this and said that brown spots on pot containers shrubs most likely is caused by stress ?.?. anyway what he told me worked so now my red robin healthy

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
        Ratings:
        +49,905
        I had it on mine years ago. I removed the seriously bad leaves then sprayed soapy water but I know about the milky water method.

• Like Like x 1
        • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          Thanks Noisette, Janet and Victoria
          I think it is insect damage, so I'll spray with soapy water from early spring. Never heard of the milky water method, may give that a go as well. :blue thumb: Luckily we don't use these for cooking.

• Friendly Friendly x 1