Bay Tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by dalbuie, Jan 31, 2006.

1. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi folks,I have a lovely Bay tree growing in the ground right in the way of my hubby's proposed garage.I need to move it so would it be better to move it into a big pot,by the way it's about 5ft tall and quite bushy,or try and replant it into the ground.Its very cold and frosty here at the moment I would hate to lose it as I have had it since it was just a baby. In fact I have rather a lot of moving of Plants and trees to do! :eek: :confused:

2. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    as long as its frosty they can t start on the garage
    yes you should be able to move it,when the weather is milder: take a big rootball and plant in a bigger hole wih a mix of soil and compost

3. Tortuosa

Tortuosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    A still day with a light drizzle would be ideal (for the Bay if not the gardener) Loads of water on replanting/potting.

4. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Might be worth taking two or three cuttings and trying to root them in a pot on a window sill just in case. Might not be the bset time of year but it's worth a try.

5. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    All good advice.

Autumn would have been better but 5ft isn't too big to attempt. Take out as big a rootball as you can possibly manage. If it's been free growing for a while you will be hard pressed to get a container big enough for the root spread so you will probably be better doing as The Lady Gardiner has said and planting it in the ground.

[ 11. February 2006, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: frogesque ]