1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bears Breeches

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by sami, Jan 30, 2011.

1. sami

sami Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I have a couple of seeds taken from a Bears Breeches plant. Daft question I know, but can I grow a plant from them and if so what would be the best way to do it? I'd be grateful for any replies!

2. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hello Sami. I grew Bears Breeches from seed a couple of years ago.
    I bought the seed. It was expensive and only had about 6 seeds in the packet so it's definitely worth trying from the seed you have.
    As far as I remember I planted the seeds individually in 3" pots and didn't do anything special with them - just the usual room temp and keep just damp.
    Germination was quite easy - about 4 of them appeared.
    I think they were quite slow to grow on, but they did and I moved them up to bigger sized pots to grow on before planting out.
    Once planted out they got on fine making very large plants with huge flower spikes which lasted all summer and they came back every year.
    I hope you are successful as they are super plants.
    Before you plant them out make sure the spot you have chosen is where you really want them as I think they would be impossible to move once established as they do huge roots.
    Good luck.

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Yes Sami - I would go with what Alice says. I have grown them from seed and they were pretty easy.

You can also grow them from root cuttings. What this means is that if you dig one up and leave a bit of root in the soil, a new plant will grow from the root. So just be a bit careful where you plant them as they can be difficult to remove.

4. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    I agree! Give sowing the seeds a go. I've got one and they're such a great plant if you can site them where they're happy.

5. barnaby

barnaby Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +73
    We had a good size plant in the last garden which was very liberal in seeding
    itself without any help from me. Only problem I found was trying to stop the seeding as they quickly develop a large 'tap root' and as Alice says they are vey difficult to remove once established.

6. jennylyn

jennylyn Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Wonderful plants that grow well from seed - seem to grow in the most odd places too so very useful as they spread quickly. :)

7. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +6,948
    I have always wanted Bears Breeches and recently acquired a clump from a neighbour.
    I just planted it in the dust and am hoping for a large clump…..eventually.

408CE31C-F4E3-4915-AED8-53AC48FC591C.jpeg

• Like Like x 1