1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Becareful if you have cats!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by princessazlea, May 24, 2005.

1. princessazlea

princessazlea Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody ever heard that Stargazer lilies were poisonous to cats? Apparently they are and so are several other lilies.

cats owner warns

2. SpikeTheLobster

SpikeTheLobster Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yup - it was in the Daily Telegraph. Nice guy brings flowers for wife, cat inspects, cleans self, dies hours later (horribly). There's a list of poisonous plants here, for example.

I have yet to find out if hosta (also lilies, different sub-specie thing) are poisonous.

3. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Crikey! poor pussy. but most cats have the nouse not to ingest plants poisonous to them. Sounds like a pure freak accident, & nothing to stress about. what a shame the plants on that list aren't poisonous to slugs. couldn't see your hosta on there (Plantain lily).

4. SpikeTheLobster

SpikeTheLobster Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    That is, of course, true. However, this was purely the cat brushing against the flowers, then cleaning itself - it didn't actually eat, lick or chew any of the plant itself. Humans can also transfer the pollen (or whatever's poisonous) by stroking them.

Scary stuff for we cat-lovers.

5. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I read that too and I was just about to plant some as well! Thankfully my three moggies have been saved from the hazard.

6. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yikes!
    Better batten down me moggies

7. lynne

lynne Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    aha!
    i have lots and lots and lots of lilies planted, this might be a way to prevent next door's cats from pooing in my garden.
    I could never hurt any sentient creature, but i am SO fed up of cleaning up after other people's animals when i have none of my own, not even a husband!

8. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    woooh lynne that was heartfealt I can tell :eek: . :D