1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Beddington, Surrey

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by DianneW, Jan 11, 2021.

1. DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,860
    Beddington is the name of the place where we purchased our first house. It is a historical place..you would never think that so much now of course.
    This is a Photo of Wandle Mills with the House next door.
    I worked first in the right side of the house and then moved into the Mill on the 1st floor and spent many dreamy moments looking out the front window at the owner of the little house below as he was a gardener and the colours of his plants were amazing to me...Lots of Comos, Marguerite's, Echinacea,Petunia's and many more. He also had a very healthy looking veggie plot. So when I ordered recently from Premier Seeds Direct I choose all those and more and see how I fair with growing them. I got an email from them like many that will no longer be able to afford to deliver to us now...
    118254371_10158492946989801_1710729575046868474_n.jpg
    Where the hedge is his Garden...the wall to the right is ancient but now has been converted to a property like the Wandle Mills is up market flats that cost silly prices. the thick supporting upright beams..lots of them are still in the Mill and integrated within the flats...my house is follow past the hedge through a passageway with the River Wandle to my right and across Beddington Lane , my 1st own place.
    nope not that one..That is actually up our road and a turning called The Brandries...its in there and has quite a history....
    .. 133356007_204610691368564_230396177245780611_o.jpg

*Historical* This once grand home stands on a high point in Beddington, it would have had panoramic views over fields and the River Wandle below. In 1906 there was a large bowling green in front. It’s still standing and is situated on The Brandries, off Guy Road in Beddington.
    Brick built in the early 1700s with a later rendered front. The front was probably adapted by Francis Baring (pictured), who bought Brandries Hill House in 1790 and spent £2,400 on it – and owned it until 1809. Francis Baring founded the UK’s oldest Merchant bank. In 1810 at his death he was worth over £100million in today's money. The bank no longer exists having collapsed due to Nick Leeson (pictured) who featured in the 1999 film, Rogue Trader.
    At a house sale in 1882 the extensive grounds included an ice house, stabling, gardener's cottage, conservatory, outbuildings, greenhouse, vineries and gardens of 6 1/2 acres.
    It was renamed Camden house and converted into flats in 1937 and later used for refugees from the Spanish Civil War.
    It’s now grade 2 listed and hemmed in by a housing estate, but is a rare survivor in the area of the type of house – and I find it fascinating that it still stands... 002.JPG
    Ours is the 2nd House..terraced and the flats on the corner which was a small wood and the neighbours driveway was built after we had left for Bexhill on Sea..The Wall and Steps my husband and my Late Dad built together in 1968 is still standing....
    You can see the river to the left which now has a barrier....

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +18,165
      It's nice to remember back over the years, but how places change !

• Agree Agree x 2
      • DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,860
        Yes they certainly do..Beddington is a victim....In France the old buildings stay and some are so beautiful..take our visit today to finalise our residency here the building that we had to attend was ancient and was astounded by the architure of the interior especially..carvings where amazing and chanderliers ...wow

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
        • DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,860
          The park is really special.... 71789885_1019408275076098_7346267210182033408_o.jpg
          This is Mill Stone also called fairy table dated 1733..make a wish leave a flower..wish would be granted...was a gift to people of Beddington from the King of Iceland...what a nice thought....

• Like Like x 1
          • DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,860
            119701363_10213625702757041_1143106865395846319_o.jpg 119708481_10213625701197002_7615000421702440453_o.jpg
            Married at
            this special place Beddington Church within Beddington Park
            Dianne with her Dad
            [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
              Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
            • DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
              +2,860
              Beddington old map.jpg
              Hare and Hounds Public House is on the ..well known in the area as.. The Purley Way it is bursting with Companies Shops and Traffic:panic: its starts at Purley and finishes at Mitcham Wandle Mills my ex workplace now luxury flats
              Where you see the a in Wandle cross the river and our house many years later would be about the:lolpt: third tree back row from the river side.

Beddington Farm.jpg
              The Beddington Sewage Works is incorporated within the Farmland in Beddington Lane. NW wind and we would have to keep the windows tightly shut....

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
              Ratings:
              +6,097
              From where I live in Eltham, a drive through Downham, Addiscombe, drop down into South Croydon. Turn right and continue along Mitcham Rd. Beddington.

I agree about the changes wherever. I was born and raised, close to Woolwich Common. The homes were, during WW2 full of character. Then came slum clearance. Val & I moved out just before the bulldozers moved in. I tried hard to get a flat for mum & dad close to us in Eltham. Eventually Mum was rehoused just across the green. Sadly dad passed away before the move. A new estate rose from the ashes near Woolwich Common. It was claimed that this new estate, had the longest frontage of any in europe. Behind the drab, boring frontage. Streets of ticky-tac home were built. As true as I write this. Inside the first twelve months of the new estate. It had become a hundred times more of a slum area, than those much moved old homes.So sad.

• Informative Informative x 1
              • DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
                +2,860
                Because I joined a local club of interest to Beddington I see things I would normally likely not see, as this picture shows..entrance that I would frequent and would always look at the wall that did
                need some renovations back in my time there. beddington park st.jpg
                What the heck has gone so wrong.......

• DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
                +2,860
                Thanks for that Mike we have to learn to live with not just the good things in life, don't we...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
                • DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
                  +2,860
                  beddington park2.jpg
                  Beautiful Park......the river brings the park alive......

• Like Like x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
                    +2,860
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
                      +2,860
                      Pub Histories: The Plough, Beddington

One of Two Pubs we frequented. The Plough was where Mr.W and I had our first date. at the rear of the Plough are some ancient caves all sealed up for safety. Children use to break through the barriers to explore inside including our 3 Children...
                      Layers of London
                      The Harvest Home our local a few minutes from our house..had an off licence as well...still looked like that when we left the area in 2000....... but since it has been refurbished and a restaurant added to the side
                      The last of the cottages to the right became a shop

[​IMG]

Beddington in the mid-19th century was a rural backwater, certainly compared to Carshalton where the old mills and the new railway had lead to new developments and population growth.

Beddington Lane was mostly a narrow gravelled country lane with only a couple of rows of cottages on the west side. The local landowners had been intent on retaining the rural nature of the area. But in 1859 the Carew estates were being broken up and sold, and it may have been the prospect of future development that drew the attention of Henry Overton to the village.

Henry was a self-made man, a Croydon resident with a background in mechanical engineering. He was enterprising and public spirited in nature, and had built his own brewery – the Royal Oak Brewery in Surrey Street. Now in his late sixties, he was well known and highly respected.

In 1858 and 1859 he bought two cottages and seven adjacent plots of building land in Beddington Lane. This allowed him to combine and extend the cottages and open them as a beer house in 1860
                      [​IMG]
                      [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
                    • DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
                      +2,860
                      117847888_10213470300312077_6618258401665826863_o.jpg
                      The camera has caught this just perfectly....
                      Beddington Park, Beddington, Surrey