Beech Tree Beetles

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Peter Piper, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Peter Piper

Peter Piper Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I am newbie to this forum and joined because I am having a problem with a Beech Tree.

It has been attacked by beetles (see photos) which are attaching themselves to the veins of the leaves by their mouth parts. Much the same as a tick does to an animal. The leaves that are attacked turn brown. I cannot identify the beetle so don't know what course of action to take. My wife is of the opinion that we may have to cut it down and burn it. I really don't want to do that. Any advice as to what type of pest this is and how to get rid of it would be appreciated. Speed is of the essence as I don't want it to get so bad that it cannot be saved.

Thank you.

Peter

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,374
  3. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,374
    Ladybirds may well be feasting on the actual pest that is causing the brown leaves.
    I'd leave well alone, on trees mostly it balances itself out, pest versus predator.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Peter Piper

Peter Piper Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Hi, Looking on Google as suggested, yes I think you are correct, but would they turn the leaves of the tree brown?

• Macraignil

Macraignil Super Gardener

Avoiding getting fired.
      Ratings:
      +755
      Looks like ladybird pupa to me as well. These are not a pest and help control the amount of aphids that will be sucking sap from a variety of plants in the garden. The leaves on many trees get a bit rough looking as they get older before they are dropped in the autumn and fresh leaves are produced again in spring. It is very unlikely the ladybirds have anything to do with some brown appearing on the older leaves in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +84,374
        There are all kinds of insects out there sucking sap from leaves at this time of the year.
        That can cause brown spots, but it doesn't mean the tree is under real pressure,even wind damage can cause browning on leaves, some parts have had a few windy spells recently.

Please dont cut it down and burn it, I think its just pretty normal for this time of the year and I definitely dont think the ladybirds are doing any harm.