Beech

Discussion in 'Trees' started by mick, Aug 10, 2013.

1. mick

mick Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi , Ive recently planted about 90 young beech (around 3ft tall). Im now noticing that some of them appear to be dying from the top and working down the plant. Any ideas what could be the problem ? They have been planted around 6-8 weeks now.

2. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,022
    Hi Mick,
    poor little chaps. It's been a baptism of fire for them over the last few weeks....:phew:. I would suggest regular watering in the evening will keep them from getting too distressed. As long as the roots are kept moist they should be OK,
    Jenny

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      I'd agree with Jenny, they'll need a lot of water in the hot weather till they get established, a mulch around the base would help too.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • mick

mick Gardener

Ratings:
        +9
        Thanks folks, much appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          thinking about 90 odd, you might be better off laying one of those leaky hosepipes along the length of them, thats a lot of trees to water.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Useful Useful x 1
          • Creative Creative x 1
          • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,667
            Are you on heavy land? Beech aren't good unless well drained (Hornbeam is that answer to that problem, but not quite as nice - doesn't hold its leave quite as well in Winter and may need two cuts a year, whereas Beech mostly likely to only need one). Hornbeam not available in Purple either :)

We have leaky pipe along all our young hedges. Best way to water them IMHO. We also have weed suppressing membrane (above the leaky pipe) which helps keep the moisture in the soil, and the absence of weeds means the hedge doesn't have competition for food / water from the weeds

• Informative Informative x 2
            • mick

mick Gardener

Ratings:
              +9
              Hi Folks , they have been planted in a school and the ground staff have apparently been watering them but probably not to the extent they should be , especially through that drought period. I agree with you Zigs, the leaky hosepipe would be ideal, unfortunately the nearest tap takes the hose over a pathway, and with today's health and safety regs .................

• Jenny namaste

Ratings:
              +31,022
              Oh dear Mick, just occurred to me that they are gonna be alone for the next few weeks ( school hols )...
              not good news,
              Jenny

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Can a hose be rigged so it goes above head height over the path?

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
              +19,594
              Watering 90 young trees with a can in the hot dry weather we've been having of late, I suspect, is an exercise in futility. I'd be wanting to put about 1 gallon per day on each tree. With my watering can, that equates to about 70 or 80 fill ups per day.

How come they were only planted 6-8 weeks ago? Were they supplied bare root? If they were, then that puts the poor things well outside of the bare root window so they'll have already been in difficulty before they even went in. Was this part of the government's embarrassing jubilee tree planting program for schools by any chance? My sons school was given 100 dead trees, also well outside of the bare root window.

• Jenny namaste

Ratings:
              +31,022
              Typical GOVT. processing Clue. As you say, these poor little Beech saplings didn't get off to a proper start...
              As the school is closed ATM, can that hose be used as there's no one working there. Of course - a HUGE girt big sign with flashing lights will still need to be erected...:heehee:
              Jenny

• mick

mick Gardener

Ratings:
              +9
              Hi, they were further on than bare root and had a fair bit leaf on them. I tried to put off the ordering and planting until the Autumn but the headmaster didnt want to wait (he knows best.....apparently) . Its actually a private school with a year round ground staff so hopefully now that its been brought to their attention they will be able to water daily. The hose unfortunately cant be raised. Thanks once again.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              I've just ordered a thunderstorm for East Lothian :dbgrtmb:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
              +12,667
              Hose only needs to be attached to leaky-hose when actually irrigating. I doubt it will take more than an hours water-running-time, and I would say that, after an initial very thorough soaking, 3x a week is adequate, less if we get rain. Should be possible to schedule that in a way that doesn't cause any insurance risk. IME private school is much more pragmatic on such things than any government body.

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
              +19,594
              With all due respect to the grounds keepers, is it not their job to know that they need to water the young trees? They are probably charging the school, and by extension the parents, a fair whack for looking after the grounds. If I was paying good money for my kid(s) to attend a private school, I'd do so in the expectation that every member of staff in every role was an expert in their field. Watering young plants during the summer months is not the horticultural equivalent of rocket science.

• Agree Agree x 1