1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Beetroot

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Herb, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Herb

Herb Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Ive had some beetroot in the ground since around the end of September but wondered how long I can keep them there before I have to pull them up. There are still new leaves growing on it at the moment.

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    The older and longer its in the ground the more hard and woody it gets, but having put it in that late then its possible it will still be ok, you could cover it over with fleece on really frosty days/nights and dig one up to try now and again or if they are of a good size then harvest the lot and store as here
    http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/beetroot_page3.asp

3. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Very interesting website Steve, as beetroot is one of my favourites.

Early October we went to a local PYO farm and found beetroot, so of course we picked some (very large) - one weighed 1lb 12ozs. Thought they might be woody but they cooked beautifully - tender as butter as my gran used to say!

[​IMG]

4. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    One of my favourites too, I like to eat it while still warm, the results tend to scare you a bit when visiting the loo though ;)

Sorry, was anyone having their sunday tea? :D

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,725
    Beetroot is one of the few veg I still bother to grow. You cant buy it like your own grown. [​IMG]
    I've still got some in the ground, haven't tried it since the frosts though. :(

6. Veggiebird

Veggiebird Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My beetroot is still in the ground, tucked up under a fleece, and it's doing fine.

Steve, if you like warm beetroot, try roasting it in olive oil. Small ones go in whole, larger ones can be cut in half, if the cut side is left up it seals quite quickly. It's gorgeous!!

I roast all my vegetables together, olive oil and a few sprigs of rosemary. Try beetroot, Jerusalem artichokes, parsnips, sweet potatoes, garlic, red pepper, turnip,leeks, onions and, if you must, potatoes, all in the same roasting tray.

7. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Sounds good to me and well worth a try [​IMG]

8. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    That sounds delicious Veggiebird - have never tried roasting beetroot. Will have to write that in my cookery book!

;)

9. Herb

Herb Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Wow. Never knew Beetroot had such a following!! :D

10. Herb

Herb Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Oh one more thing. How long do you have to cook them for?

11. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    depends how samll they are, say 40 mins if cut up, 2 ours if very large [prepare for pickling this way]

12. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    beetroot grated raw is ok in a salad, and of course if your Polish, brost is a kinda soup, Delia says chilled consomme is nice: ingredients spring onions, thyme, garlic, parsley, bay leaf, orange zest, cucumber [add at end], red wine vingar, lemon juice, 2 pints water, boil up and strain season to taste serve chilled.
    btw if roasting for pickling keep em while with tops and tails on, else the colour "bleeds"
    beetroor vinaigrette is cooked beetroot shopped with shallots and some oil n vinegar dressing

13. Veggiebird

Veggiebird Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I cook all the vegetables together for about 30 minutes. Depends how small you cut things up; golf ball sized beetroot will cook whole in that time.

14. Herb

Herb Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    What about roasting? 40 mins also?

15. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    run for the cranberries!!