1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Beginner to roses need help

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Charlie, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Charlie

Charlie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am a real beginner and would appreciate some help.I have two beautiful roses on my balcony a Sweet memories and Sweet dream. The former is beginning to show yellow leaves at the bottom of the bush - both roses sit in large tubs with a long clear stem up to the blooms. Do I need to worry about the yellowing (it has only happend on 3 or 4 leaves)?
    On another matter do I cut the blooms off the bush when they are dead and if so where? Do I just pull the dead petals away or do I cut below the actual bud and do I do this now or wait until the end of the season? [​IMG] [​IMG]

[ 10. June 2005, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: Charlie ]

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :D Again feed & water well make sure they are not pot bound I re-pot mine each autumn after they have died back. Dead head all the old flowers back to either an internode (where next branch is) or bud sight(usually little red spots on stems). Roses have suprisingly large root systems & they are greedy :D Good Luck :D

[ 10. June 2005, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Marley Farley ]

3. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Not an expert myself, just an enthusiastic amatuer - but my girl's book of (rose) knowledge has this one marked down as waterlogging. Answer "prevent by ensuring good drainage and/or replant in better prepared site". Otherwise they look like nice plants. Well done you! ;)

Good luck

4. Charlie

Charlie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0

5. Charlie

Charlie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for the advice. Do i dead head now as the flowers die or do I wait until the end of the season?

6. Charlie

Charlie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that - I guessed it might be overwatering its just that I'm so terrified of underwatering!

7. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi charlie

Deadhead as the flowers die and your plant should keep flowering for much longer.

Do you have drainae holes in the pot? We have had fairly heavy rain showers here abd if you are the same there it wont take long for the pot to get soggy.

8. Charlie

Charlie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mrs Cloudy,
    Yes I do have good drainage holes. I actually now believe I've been watering just that bit too much. I'm going to slacken off now.
    Any help on week by week care ie when do I feed and what with?
    Thanks for the advice
    Charlie