1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

beginner

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by taney, Jun 24, 2005.

1. taney

taney Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi all,

I am a beginner to be a gardener.I have bought a new house.The lawn is quite big & was very poorly maintained.The soil is very hard with grass too long.Lawn mower does not work on the surface & its very difficult to plough the land.What should I do?Someone has advised us to use a rotovetor for ploughing the lawn and then re-designing the lawn & planting new plants & grass?what do you suggest & where can I get a cheap rotovetor for hiring for 2 days?

thanx in advance

2. cathysue

cathysue Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    If your house is a new build then your lawn is probably suffering from a lack of soil. Builders often cover clay or rubble with a couple of inches of 'topsoil' and then grass seed. The grass sprouts but there isn't enough soil/nutrients for it to grow successfully. You probably have the right idea of rotovating it and starting anew. I would suggest trying local machinery hire shops eg. HS Hire (look in yellow pages. Alternatively you may have a local allotment holders group or horticultural society. Generally they have lots of very friendly and helpful people who will know someone with a rotovator who is likely to do the job at a reasonable price.
    Depending on the quality of the underlying soil (especially if clay or builders rubble) you may have to add lots and lots of new topsoil to your garden. Around here it costs around �£40 per ton delivered.
    Hope this is useful [​IMG]

3. taney

taney Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanx for the reply...our house is not a newly built,but it seems to be neglected for years.That's why soil has become very hard and its very difficult to dig in & because of the very long grass,its impossible to plough.I live in Birmingham.Can you suggest anyone who can do the job at a reasonable cost.
    Thanx once again!

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Hi taney,welcome to the garden. [​IMG] Sounds like you have allot of work to do there, if you are not keen,or don't have the time, if you look in your local pages (tel book) there should be a section with, gardeners,garden design people, or garden maintenance, if you contact a couple of them, make sure they give free estimates. Then compare the results & go for it. By the way word of mouth is usually the best way, ask around the neighbours they may be able to recomend someone locally. Have a think before you call anyone in as to what you think you would like, then you can discuss it with them, rather than them telling you what they think you want. Hope this helps. Good luck [​IMG] [​IMG]

[ 30. June 2005, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Marley Farley ]