1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Beginners guide to transplanting

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HBK, May 17, 2011.

1. HBK

HBK Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    In all honesty I have a 0% record when it comes to transplanting. My morning glory plants that I transplanted were huge, and died, so did my willow trees when they were stuck in the ground, and my anemone. As I said, everything I've moved from a pot to outside has died.

So, I obviously need some help. I grew some coleus plants from seed and they're at the point where they need to be planted on to a bigger pot. If I could postpone it I would but I'm hoping to give 2 of them to a pair of friends.

At the bottom of the page you'll find a picture so you can picture how big they are. If I was going to do this unaided I would dig into the compost with a spoon, pull out the plants by the stalk and put them in a new pot of compost each, holding the plant up while pouring in the compost so the roots are in a similar position. Am I at least close?

[​IMG]

2. Lad

Lad Gardener

Senior Consultant
    Ratings:
    +46
    simply fill a 3" pot with compost dib a hole in the centre, hoof out the plant you want to transplant holding by the leaves, re plant in hole and fill. repeat and water all transplants.

• Like Like x 1
    • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
      Ratings:
      +6,654
      If I was transplanting those I would tap the whole lot of the pot and gently ease them apart, trying to keep as much root and some compost on each one. Then I would do as mentioned, loosely fill a 3" pot with compost, make a hole, lower a seedling in to the hole, gently push the compost around it with a dibber, then lightly tap the pot on a solid surface (not too hard) whilst cupping your hand over the the top to settle the compost and water in...job done :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1