1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Begonia Apricot Shades

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by weas3l, Aug 31, 2015.

1. weas3l

weas3l Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    Hi fellow gardening enthusiasts,

I have a hanging basket with Begonia Apricot Shades growing at the moment and it has produced a fantastic display (the first time I've ever had any success with Begonias). I read somewhere that although I bought them as plug plants they will have developed tubers in the soil and can be left in the basket for next year and I just wanted to know if this is true or whether I will have to buy a whole new lot of Begonias next year.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,718
    You can overwinter Begonia tubers but you need to dry them off in a month or so.
    Slowly allowing the stems and leaves to fall away.

Its then best to rub the compost away from the tubers and give them a look over.
    Vine weevil like the tubers and might well be in there, munching away.

If all looks OK, you can store them dry in a paper bag in a cool, but frost free place, until about March next year.

• Agree Agree x 1