1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Begonias in pots...

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ennnceee, Nov 11, 2015.

1. ennnceee

ennnceee Gardener

Ratings:
    +68
    Greetings from sunny Shoreham-by-Sea!

Just thinking about taking the corms our of their pots (most are in containers) and wondering what would happen if I left some of them and added some fresh compost on top. Would they be vastly inferior? Would they do anything?

Thanks

Neil

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,127
    Assuming they are the tuberous begonias then yes you can do it. Once they have died down naturally you can take the tubers out and store over-winter in slightly moist compost. They will also over-winter in pots, you don't have to do anything except keep them frost free and not too wet. Either way they will benefit from fresh compost next spring.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      I am thinking of wintering some off my trailing Begonias in their pots . I usually lift the tubers around this time of year. They would be dusted with sulpher powder and stored in shredded paper in a frost free garage . When replanted in March , my germination rates were 60 to 80%. Maybe leaving them in pots would improve this ?

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,127
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • ennnceee

ennnceee Gardener

Ratings:
        +68