Begonias very very leafy ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HarryS, Aug 21, 2019.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    I have grown trailing Begonias for over 10 year now. Always get a good to very good flower display. This years batch were planted in Jacks Magic MPC, with Miracle Gro slow release fertiliser pellets.
    Now the basket I planted for my step daughter is superb, flowers trailing to nearly a metre! My bower, below, has three plants in it, and has a very feeble flower display for August. There are an abundance of leaves though.
    What could the cause/solution for this be? Have I over fed them? I won't save the corms from poor flowering plants, but start from new plugs next year.
    TIA

20190820_191640.jpg

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Morning HarryS.....I wonder, yes, if you are over feeding them?
    Maybe give them a daily diluted tomato feed ...see if that saves them from the bin! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      Cheers Verdun, I use Tom feed on my baskets and planters from July. A great tip I got on GC a few years back, it does seem to prolong the flowering. I'll try it on the trailing Begonias, you never know :blue thumb:
      Another observation....my Bacopa white, again loads of very healthy growth with leaves but not a lot of flowers :scratch: Is it overfeeding with slow release pellets?

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +84,313
        Maybe the slow release, I think it tends to be a balanced fertiliser, so could be they are getting too much nitrogen.
        Could try just not feeding for a while.:smile:

Something I find confusing, anyone who grows toms knows that you don't feed with high potash until the first truss is set, unyet it is often suggested that a high potash feed brings a plant into flowering:scratch:, I've said the same thing myself:biggrin:

So, what's going through my mind is a little, and I mean a little,:biggrin: starvation, might just promote more flowering, and once it starts, hit it with the potash.

• Like Like x 2
        • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,486
          Interesting comments from Pete and makes sense to me :) ..I always stop feeding when tomatoes have formed and fruit is ripening well. As usual it is the result of experimenting. Also very little watering this year....plants are in the gh soil, replaced every 2 or 3 years......but regular watering. Tastier fruit too.

• Like Like x 2