1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Begonias

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Loki, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,092
    I'm new to these plants, I used to hate them, this year I've fell in love.
    My question is...... is it worth overwintering? My plants where bought as plugs, £1:50 at most
    How does that compare with overwintering? I'm guessing my begonias will bulk up?
    What do you do?
    Is it worth overwintering? If so, how do I do it?

• Like Like x 1
    • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097
      Loki. Yes one of the little problems. Might I be correct in thinking you refer to Begonia semperviens, often used as edging plants, pink, red and white some with bronzed foliage? Usually these are discarded at the end of the season but they are easy to take cuttings from and even to pot up and keep the old plant through the winter. Keep them on the dry side, as even under glass over moist plants can suffer due to frost-like temperatures and conditions. In an unheated GH, a sheet of newspaper will often suffice overnight.

Begonias are quite a large family. Even from plugs, various plants will produce a corm. These corms can be lifted, dried and stored over winter, or potted up and allowed to rest, just keepin the compost damp. Always remember, Begonia corms have a concave top. Aviod this from filling with water, the corm will soon rot.

Begonia Rex is one of the big boys. Fantastic foliage and allowing for various methods of propagation. Cutting the veins of the leaves being a great favourite. Back to the sempervirens. My GH staging is covered with compost. This comes in handy at times as, such as B.sempervirens, allow the seeds to fall and bingo, you have plenty of new seedlings. Good Luck and enjoy your gardening.

• Like Like x 2
      • SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
        +746
        I arrive, as usual, fashionably late to this thread, and as such I fear it is too late to salvage my begonias. They were planted this summer and flowered fabulously. Unfortunately, it has not been possible to spend much time in the garden this autumn at all, mainly because I have barely been at home, and now the flowers are all gone and the plants are all but gone. They are in a container, and I was hoping to have them for at least two seasons, so I'm wondering what i should do now to maximise the chances of them re-emerging next spring or summer?

• WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,089
        Some of my begonias are about 5 years old. I lift them,dry the soil,rub it off,place begonia in an onion bag and leave them in the garage. Check for rot every now and then. Some go soft most make it to spring.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
          Ratings:
          +6,097
          Simon and friends. Been there done that etc. As I said in a previous post. Begonias are an exceptional class of plants. Perhaps other plants also offer so much. Neglected corm forming plants will contend with so much, then as we might think die. Take a look at the roots. Yes a tiny bulb/corm. So grow it on. For the fibrouse types, So the greenery has dried out and all seems lost. Trim of the dead looking bits. Pot the remaining roots in fresh compost. Wait and see. Come the spring new shoots may appear, so take cuttings. Please. Always remember. When taking cuttings from tubers and corms, DONT cut to the corm or tuber, leave a joint, this will enable yet anther shoot to grow.

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          As Wee Tam , I lift and store my Begonia tubers in November. Rejecting any soft ones. I find on replanting indoors , mid March , about 75% will restart.