1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Belfast sinks into wildlife pond

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by luciusmaximus, Apr 21, 2014.

1. luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
    Ratings:
    +6,899
    Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, so could someone please move if not.

I am now the proud owner of 3 stone sinks :yay: I read about them on another forum and thought they would be lovely to have in my garden. The sinks are in reasonably good condition, a few chips and scratches. I was going to get some enamel paint to touch up but I'm not sure what is the best kind to get. I did a search for bath paint and the prices were very expensive. Could anyone tell me please what to get and where ?

The largest sink I want to make into a wildlife pond. Although I'm wondering about the siting of it. The only place I can put it ( at present ) is on the patio, but I wonder if it will look out of place. Obviously it will not be sunk into the ground so that means it will not have plants surrounding it.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I think for it to be an effective wildlife pond, it needs a number of things:

* Easy access for creatures to get in, to get a drink or a bath
    * An easy way for them to get back out, so they don't fall in and drown. A few well placed rounded rocks placed inside the sink at one side should sort that.
    * A balanced eco-system to prevent the water going stagnant. Various pond plants should sort that.
    * Good cover for anything wanting to use the pond without being attacked or baked in the summer sun. This is especially important for smaller amphibians.

I see no reason why all of this can't be achieved. I look forward to seeing photos:)

• Like Like x 1