Berberis stenophylla lost its flowers, hasn't flowered since

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Granty, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Granty

Granty Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone. First post here and first time I've ever done anything remotely resembling gardening...

I bought 5 berberis stenophylla hedges to go behind my front wall March 2013 - mainly to act as a deterrent from teenagers hanging round sitting on the wall (I live next to a newsagents). When I bought the plants I repotted them in John Innes 3 soil - then a mixed in a bit of blood and fish bone fertiliser (all based on the recommendation of a farmer's wife I chatted to in B&Q). They lost their nice yellow flowers in the next couple of days - which I assumed was do to the shock of me repotting them in a cack-handed way. They haven't flowered this summer though, even though there are new shoots coming up (a couple of the hedges flowered a little, then they fell off in a couple of days).

Any ideas why? They only see the sun from midday to early evening. I'm assuming I don't need to water them as the soil seems to retain enough moisture. Is it the blood and fish bone that's done it?

Any tips or advice very much appreciated :)

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,635
    Hello and welcome to the forum Granty.

John Innes #3 already has enough nutrients to last a few months so adding more is unnecessary or worse can over-feed your plants. A little bit of BFB won't do any harm, being organic it's slow release but if you added a handful that's too much.

The good news is you are seeing new shoots so they sound as though they are recovering.

All pots need watering, especially in the hot summer we have just had, even when it rains,

pots seldom get much water as the leaves shed it off before it hits the soil. It's not always easy to tell if compost is dry, I stick my finger in a few inches to gauge or sometimes use a moisture meter for getting deeper (they are around £10) or gently lift/tilt the pot to feel the weight - compost becomes much lighter when dry.

What size pot are they in and have you got drainage?

If you bump into that farmer's wife again don't ask for any more advice :)

3. Granty

Ratings:
    +0
    Haha! Yeah I'll stear clear of B&Q experts. Thanks for replying.

I used 45 x 45cm plastic square planters. It won't let me add a link sorry.

What do you mean by drainage?

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,635
    Are there holes in the bottom to let excess rain water escape?

5. Granty

Ratings:
    +0