1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

'Berries and Fertilizers

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by ricky101, Mar 27, 2019.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,203
    Hi,

Have established Straw, Black and Rasp Berries , but looking in the books and online seem to get differing views on what to fertilize with this time of year.

Probably the most common, is to use Fish,Blood & Bone, but some suggest Growmore and others add some Potash.

You also see Superphospate sold as fruit enhancer, yet seen little in the books about using this.

Any advice on a good feeding regime for these three fruits appreciated.

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Ricki, I prefer organic fertiliser like fish, blood n bone ....growmore will do. A seaweed spray during the growing season too.:) This gives a good nutrient balance
    I mulch too.....after applying fertiliser I mix mpc/my own compost with chicken pellets to make a mulch.:)
    Straw when fruit is forming too keeps strawberries clean :)

• Like Like x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,203
      Hi,

Have used some chicken pellets many years ago, but none since as their smell was over powering for days after.
      Are todays any better ? - any brand smelling sweeter ? :)

I usually get Doff liquid Seaweed feed, though have not used it on the Berries, again usually water any plants rather than foliar spray, again any better brand you would recommend ?

Tend to use Tomato feed during the rest of the season....

Thanks

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      They can pong a bit....I remember buying a box of pellets and my niece refusing to let me get into her car with them. I ended up getting a bus and I was very conscious of the smell :sad:
      If you tickle the pellets lightly on the soil and then cover with mpc the smell can be mitigated. Watering in too helps reduce the smell
      Chicken pellets are excellent though.....I think the nitrogen in them is fast acting.....great for the soil, soil life and plants :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
        Ratings:
        +6,097
        Strange how times change. Once upon a time, chicken pellets/muck was considered suitable only for growing onions, due to it adding to the strength of the flavour. Perhaps it has something to do with less chickens being free range.

I don't grow fruit but I would be tempted only to use natural mulch etc, so as not to contaminate the flavour.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,203
        Each to their own, but think you are missing out there, unless you do not eat much fruit or have limited garden space ?

They are generally so easy to grow, needing little attention and you can even get 'patio' size Blackberries these day and you can also get a useful crop from Raspberries grown in large pots.

Like most fruit and veg they can all come at once, but most can be frozen or shared out.

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
        Ratings:
        +6,097
        Yes I am limited for space and now health isn't so good. Used to grow most of the 'Berries' when working a large allottment with my father, but that was over fifty years ago. Also whe employed by the MOD.
        As with home grown produce, you can always tell the difference.