1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Best container small shrub for bees?

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Delta, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Delta

Delta Gardener

Disabled, unemployed.
    Ratings:
    +15
    I've got a very small town yard filled to bursting already with a half dozen container shrubs & plants, plus about 20 other various plants of various sizes with about half that number of bonsai trees and it's for one of the latter that I'm on a quest for another good shrub to attract the bees. I've just "invested" in a lovely crab apple bonsai complete with fruit and I'm keen to ensure that I continue to have fruit on the tree so presumably that will require the flowers to be pollinated?

The only shrub I have that currently attracts bees is a beautiful Deutzia STrawberry Fields which has just decided 2 years of flowers was enough to kill it and rather than replace it I wondered if there might be maybe something else more hardy as this was my 3rd attempt to maintain a Deutzia without great success.

Any shrub needs to be small as I've a severely arthritic right hand & no ability to lift pots over 18 inches in diameter hence why I'm downsizing 95% of my current shrubs to bonsai size.

Any suggestions?

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Hiya Delta, if it is sunny there consider an agastache.....the hummingbird plant. Ok, not hardy everywhere but flowers all summer and is a bee magnet. Agastache Blue Boa is covered with bees, as are all the agastaches; Kudos Mandarin, Ambrosia and Coral are dwarf highly floriferous plants. They all have aromatic foliage, every variety with a different smell. If you take cuttings you can ensure you have plants for the following year.

Perhaps the Buzz Buddleias too....these are dwarf bushes packed with flower and, as with all buddleias, attractive to bees and butterflies:)

3. KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,890
    Hi Delta, how about a hardy Fuchsia. There are some wonderful hybrids / cultivars out there. The bees love mine all Summer , hence I have to keep picking the berries off.

4. Jimcub

Jimcub Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +614
    We have 3 fushia bushes and they are covered in bees and butterfly's

• Like Like x 2
    • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,414
      I have buddleia tutti frutti. Despite it wilting badly in the heat it's still producing masses of purple flowers. My bug friendly lamium beacon silver is a great plant. It's growing stronger day by day. It's a great way of brightening up a shady corner.

G.

• Like Like x 1
      • Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
        +172
        Bees love thyme and of course you can harvest it yourself for cooking. Lots of different varieties available, some more shrub like than others. Very hardy and drought tolerant.

And the other favourite for the bees in my garden is bowles mauve. Very long flowing period, something to do with being sterile. Apart from bulbs it was the first plant to flower and is still going strong.

• Like Like x 2
          Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
        • Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
          +172
          Pic of broadleaf thyme I think

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
          • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +9,233
            I would be thinking along the herb path, too. I find that marjoram flowers most of the summer, and there are some lovely golden versions. If you cut back some of the flowering shoots just before, and then others just after, the main flowering time, you can really extend the flowering time. If you are looking for something around the same time as the deutzia, how about a lavender?

• Like Like x 1
            • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
              +17,487
              Agree that lavendar is a good choice....bees have been flocking to my lavendar hedge for a few weeks now :)

• Like Like x 1
              • Mark56

Mark56 Super Gardener

Ratings:
                +957
                Lavender/Caryopteris like Dark Knight for August/September offerings

• Like Like x 1
                • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
                  +3,718
                  As Verdun says, agastache, I have two agastache black adder plants and they were covered in bees within hours, I was so impressed I now have seeds of another eleven or twelve varieties waiting to be sown next year, also verbena bonariensis and I think they look well together. First picture agastache the taller plant and verbena slightly smaller picture 2 agastache blue boa which Verdun mentioned.

Attached Files:

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
                  Ratings:
                  +5,404
                  [​IMG]Sedums for bees in late summer! Not a shrub, but very easy to grow and manage - and quite a good variety to choose from :) .... to take over when the lavender is finished :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1