1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Marigold for Aphid/Whitefly

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Scrofula, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Scrofula

Scrofula Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Any thoughts on what the best variety of marigold is for whitefly/aphid control in a greenhouse. I can't seem to find anywhere on the web that tells you which variety is the best eg. African, French, or Mexican. Then there are lots of different sorts of each of these.I'm looking to buy some seeds in the near future and would welcome any advice or accounts of personal experience.

There is also a bit of controversy regarding whether there is any effect on aphids - some say yes, others say no. I would have thought it would have been a pretty easy experiment to do ?!

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    The marigold is probably the most well known plant for repelling insects. French marigolds repel whiteflies and kill bad nematodes. Mexican marigolds are said to offend a host of destructive insects and wild rabbits as well. If you choose marigolds for your garden they must be scented to work as a repellant. And while this plant drives away many bad bugs,the downside is it also attracts spider mites and snails.