Best Mimosa for a pot

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Spruce, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,318
    Friend in work asked me for a name of a mimosa for a large pot for the patio as she has looked on line and just confused with how many , she has a cold greenhouse it could over wintered in any suggestions, I have not a clue on this one I said I would ask on here...

Spruce

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,361
    How about Acacia baileyana purpurea.
    I think strongy grew one for years in a large pot.

It always looks a bit more interesting close up than some of the others, so probably better in a pot.
    Not hardy really, although might take a couple of degrees of frost.

3. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,318

Thanks Pete , what about a cold/frost free greenhouse over winter ? should that be ok

Spruce

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,361
    Kept slightly dry it could be OK.
    As with all these things you cant say for certain as a minus 15C might come along and finish it off.
    I think the hardiest acacia is probably A. pravissima, I have one that has taken minus 12C, but its big and some might say untidy in growth habit.
    Great in flower though.

I suggested baileyana as it has quite a dainty foliage, many Acacias have juvenile and adult foliage, the adult foliage is usually less interesting.

• Like Like x 1
    • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
      Ratings:
      +28,243
      As they grow so fast I don't really think Acacias are good plants for pots, mine was forever blowing over in the wind when it got to about 8ft. You can trim Dealbata and Baileyana but it reduces their flowering ability.
      A. Pravissima is the most hardy as Pete has proof, but yes they are untidy and probably too big for a pot after a few years.
      I lost the last A. Baileyana and a pot A. Longifolia to several -5/6cs last winter.
      They would outgrow a greenhouse in a year or two.
      I think there is a smaller variety of Acacia Dealbata called Gauloise but I'm not sure whether it is a 'dwarf' cultivar or not.

• Like Like x 2