1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Best place to buy mature Dahlia plants online?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by kyleleonard, May 29, 2014.

1. kyleleonard

kyleleonard Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +950
    Looking to buy a few mature Dahlia plants for my girlfriend's mum's birthday at the end of June, so I want plants which are in bud/ready to flower.

Been having a look around but can't seem to find anything which suggests they'd be a decent size plant.

Any help appreciated!

2. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
  3. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,321
    I would have a look at hombase and B&Q as well but I think Val's idea looks promising and with Crocus you will get quantity plants a bit pricey but its a birthday present and she can keep for next year as well , Bargain :snork:

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Garden centres will have plenty shortly I reckon ... but they will be plants which have only a foot or so of growth on them.

I'll put my money on your not getting any Dahlias that are "in flower" (or close to that) at the end of June. Its pretty early for Dahlias to be in flower (unless you are in Cornwall!) so any plants that were flowering-ready at that time would have been forced, and might well be "exhausted" from the experience, so probably not a good thing to give as a present as chance are they will snuff it, or at best perform badly, thereafter :(

If you Mum is a gardener then she will be happy with plants that are going to give "jam tomorrow", so several dahlias might be in order, rather than just one or two expensive ones that are the most "flowering ready" that you can find.

Maybe other folk get their dahlias to flower earlier than mine? End of June is early for me - I don't plant mine out until end of May ...

EDIT: Just checked back through my photos and in 2012 (very good Spring here) I had flowers on my Bishop of Llandaff in 1st week of July - so maybe end of June is not impossible after all ... but Bishop of Llandaff is a single flowered variety, and I think the more fancy Pom-Poms and Cactus flowered types would be a bit later.