best place to get dahlias-gc or online

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by lazy-gardener, Jan 23, 2007.

1. lazy-gardener

lazy-gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    thiought I would give them a try this year. looked in local centre and they have some (about �£2 per tuber) but not a great range. Had a look at some online sites but some of them are about �£3 each or more. Is this a normal kind of price? should I just stick to garden centre till I know if I like them?

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,013
    Yes - keep it simple till you know more about it. I would stick to a local source. There are over 40,000 different cultivars - do we really need that much choice? Garden centres probably sell the most common ones. But really that is what you want to start with. I bought Arabian Night (which I love) and some others in the market and at Wilkinsons at �£1 each.

I am a recent convert to them - they do flower for a long time. Later the decision may be between big blousy primadonnas and smaller flowered team players for the border.

3. lazy-gardener

lazy-gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    yes, was thinking the same thing. will just have a bit of a trevel round local ones to see what they have

4. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Try Halls of Heddon tel. 01661 852445

They will send you a catalogue, their mini plants cost �£2.15 and will grow to a very large size in one season.

If you want a bit of Bishop Llandaff, I am sure I would be able to find you an odd bit of tuber when I wake him up in the spring - but you will have to remind me.

5. lazy-gardener

lazy-gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    waco thats so kind of you!!I'm sure the bishop wouldnt want you giving him away so recklessly! I have found another site I think I may order from (direct bulbs) their prices seem quite reasonable - 5 for about �£4-�£5 depending on variety so think I may order some and a few other bulbs as well! Bang goes my resolve not to be seduced into buying plants and things!

6. chobart

chobart Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Lazy-Gardener.
    Like Waco I have lots of B of L which will need to be thrown out later - assuming they all survive
    you are welcome - also have a small flowering one Chess- not so prolific as the Bishop but plentiful.

Dahlias are great but you always end up with surplus tubers and the cuttings are so easy..........

7. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I used to find them so distasteful, but now fill my beds with late autumn colour and revil in their colour and diversity.