1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Source for TV films

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ricky101, Dec 21, 2019.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Hi,

Atm we only have freeview channels and for most films this xmas its just a case of the repeated repeats ! so rather belatedly we are looking at the modern offerings, and seems like Netflix or Amazon Prime are the main choices ?

We have a smart LG tv ( about 3 years old) and both wifi and ethernet cable to it on virgins 100mb service.

Not been heavy Amazon shoppers, but we can see the advantage of their Prime tv package and free delivery but we have no real ideal how Prime comapres to Netflix , particularly in respect of film choice.

Any input welcome to help these old luddites decide ! :old: :biggrin:

2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,512
    Tough call - we actually have both, with Amazon being primarily for shopping and their video service being second to that. Of the two, I would say Netflix is the better one in terms of choice and availability, mostly as Amazon are increasingly charging one off fees to watch certain things. If you treat Amazon as you are paying for the Prime shopping service and getting the video chucked in, it isn't bad value.

Some folks also use Now TV (a couple of the guys at work have it in one or more of its guises) but I have no experience of it, so would be reluctant to recommend one way or the other on it.

Of course, there is still the trap of having all that choice and still nothing to watch that suits you......

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +21,708
      It's an impossible choice! If you get one you always want to watch what's on the other! My tv has NowTV (I think) built in so plenty of catch up on that, all the standard channel have their apps and you can get several channels on the DPlay app (Quest, food network etc). I was saying just last night that there is way too much choice on offer
      All the options such as netflix have a subscription so getting everything is very costly and all comes down to personal taste.
      SKY actually becomes more attractive as a package deal when you look at the range of content too

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,201
        We have looked at Now TV on the PC and its basically Sky Cinema etc which does seems to offer more new films.

One thing would we do not like is that they all want Recurring payments which have been known for being very difficult to termiate, though most of the them say its easy to cancel.
        Any experience of doing so, and is it as simple as they say ?

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +49,512
        Apparently Netfilx are very good when it comes to cancellation; not sure about Now TV, sorry.

• Like Like x 1